Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Wings, Chili Lime Chicken Wings, Honey Mustard Chicken Wings, which recipe will be your favourite? Serve them with a side of mashed peas, skin on roast potatoes, creamy garlic potatoes or whole roasted garlic for a complete meal!
Marinated in an easy honey garlic sauce these wings are packed with flavour and texture.
These oven baked wings can be eaten anytime you get hungry. They are especially good for lunch, dinner and bbqs.
These are marinated baked chicken wings. They are easy and they are super tasty.
For these chicken wings, we follow basic steps, much the same as we did in our Honey Soy Chicken Wings.
How do you make honey garlic chicken wings
To make Honey Garlic Chicken Wings we start with mixing our ingredients together for our marinade.
The photo below shows you the ingredients for this recipe. We have honey, dried garlic, ginger beer, dried onion, salt and pepper. Our chicken wings have already been cut into smaller pieces, so we are about ready to rock and roll.
Flavour through taste and texture is the winning combination for these honey garlic wings. The marinade has 6 simple ingredients, you may already have some of them in the cupboard!
As we talked about in our honey soy chicken wings recipe, you can buy the wings and cut them yourself, or you can buy cut wings.
I find them much of a muchness, but as we all know time is precious, so if you are short of it, then go for the nibblets.
Free range chicken is best and it is readily available at your local grocery store
When making honey soy garlic wings follow this process
You guys know that when I marinade, for recipes like my Pimped Chicken Drumsticks I like to use a large jar.
It is the perfect vessel to add all of our marinade ingredients to and then seal and shake.
Once the marinade is done, we pour it over our chicken wings in a large zip lock bag and then we seal and place in the fridge. These easy steps are shown in the photo below.
How long can you marinate chicken wings?
The marinade time for chicken wings can suit your schedule. It is great to marinade the wings for at least 30 mins.
Overnight is perfect if you have the time.
The goal of the marinade is to pack maximum flavour into the wings. Don't worry if you want to eat straight away and don't have the time to wait for the marinade to sit for hours. Your wings will still taste amazing. Just know, that the option is there if you want to marinade for longer.
How do you make honey garlic chicken wings
To make honey garlic chicken wings we need to follow some simple steps.
The initial step is the one that we have talked about above and that is marinading our wings. After that, we transfer the wings and marinade into a baking tray. I like to line mine with paper as this saves clean up time (no need for scrubbing that way).
Set your oven to preheat before you do the following steps and it will be hot and ready once you are done.
You remove the wings from the bag and tip the entire contents into your baking tray. Then you simply pop the whole tray in the oven.
This also cooks our marinade and we use a little of that to drizzle over our wings before serving them so it is a win, win solution.
How to cook chicken wings in the oven
The 2 photos below are to show you the marinated wings before and after cooking. As you can see they are still quite pale even though they are cooked, so we then pop them under the broiler to crisp up the skin.
If you remember, we also did that for our Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken. It is a great fast way of cooking chicken skin.
The step to crisp up the skin of your wings is the thing that takes them from 'pretty good' to bomb diggity chicken wings.
It only takes about 10-15 mins under the broiler for the chicken skin to get crispy. Keep an eye on them during this process as it happens faster than you think!
Can I freeze chicken wings
Yes!! You can freeze chicken wings.
If you want to freeze this recipe, I would do that once the marinade is coating the wings and before they are cooked. This is a good meal prep option too for busy weeks.
Throw the whole bag into the freezer and when you are ready to cook the wings, simply let them defrost in the fridge for a few hours.
Chicken wings are the perfect party food, they are easy to grab and eat with one in one hand with a drink in the other!
Honey Garlic Chicken wings questions answered:
About the recipe:
- this recipe uses pre-cut chicken wings
- the ginger beer is non alcoholic (hey, I won't stop you if yours isn't!)
- dried onion provides flavour but saves time and tears!
- the dried garlic is easy to find in the spice aisle
- you can use any honey you like
- the marinade will stretch to cook 1kg of these or you can double the batch
Your quick questions answered:
- preheat your oven to make cooking the wings faster
- pour the whole marinade from the bag into your baking tray (tongs help)
- you can freeze the honey garlic marinade bag with the wings in it
- serve with sides, a salad or own their own
- This is an EASY recipe
This is the most amazing honey garlic chicken recipe and everyone you make it for will love it!
Chicken Wing recipes for dinner
If this chicken wing recipe makes you want to make wings every day forever then here are some other marinade ideas:
- Honey Soy Chicken Wings
- Chili Lime Chicken Wings
- Honey Mustard Chicken Wings (Slow Cooker)
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Wings
- Buffalo Wings
- BBQ wings
If a honey soy combo is making your mouth water, you can also try:
Or you might want to warm your belly with some comfort foods, in which case, check out the below dishes.
- Chicken Thighs in Creamy Garlic Wine Sauce (one pot recipe)
- Blue Cheese Mac and Cheese (vegetarian recipe)
- Beef Bean Pasta Bake (family favorite)
- Minestrone Soup (packed with veggies)
- Meatball Tomato Soup (one of my favourites)
What goes well with chicken wings?
Chicken Wings are delicious to eat on their own. They are the kindof food that you can eat with your fingers and still hold a conversation at the same time. Muffin Tin Potatoes are great if you are going to sit down for a meal.
It is nice to serve them with sesame seeds, sliced green onions and radishes. They make a pretty looking dish and the shallots are a traditional way to serve chicken wings.
What can I cook with wings?
If you want to make a meal out of your wings and serve up a feast, then these chicken wings dinner sides are perfect:
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Creamy Garlic Potatoes
- Potato Salad
- Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Shredded Brussel Sprouts Salad (everyone loves this one!)
The sesame seeds will stick nicely to the wings when you are plating them. I also like to drizzle a bit of the leftover marinade over my wings for that extra next level taste sensation.
For finger licking good chicken that everyone will rave about a little drizzle of the cooked marinade goes a long way!
Honey Garlic Chicken Wings
- Baking dish
- Oven rack
- Baking tray
Honey Garlic Chicken Wings
- 700 grams chicken wings Note 3
- ½ cup honey
- 2 tbsp garlic granules Note 2
- ¾ cup ginger beer Note 4
- 1 tbsp dried onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
Honey Garlic Chicken Wings
- Preheat oven to 200°c/400°F, gas 6
- Combine marinade ingredients in a large jar, seal and shake to mix together Note 1
- Add chicken wings to zip lock bag and then pour marinade in to cover. Seal and massage with hands to spread around.
- Place marinade in the fridge for at least 30 mins, up to overnight
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper
- Pour chicken wing marinade mix into baking tray and use tongs to arrange so all are flat
- Bake for 30 - 40 mins, rotating ½ way through. Use a skewer after 30 mins to pierce near the bone of the largest piece and see the colour of the juices. If they are clear, remove from the oven, if they are stil slightly pink, continue to cook for the further 10 mins
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and place a cooking wrack on top. Place wings onto rack. Keep leftover marinade juice for drizzle
- Change oven to grill setting (same temperature) and grill for 10 mins to crisp up the skin
- Top with thinly sliced radishes, shallots and sesame seeds. Use remaining marinade for drizzle.
- Note 1 if you don't have a large jar to make your marinade in, a medium bowl will be fine to use.
- Note 2 these are dried granules in the spice aisle. They are perfect for this recipe and full of flavour!
- Note 3 the recipe will stretch to 1kg of chicken wings, don't worry about making extra marinade. If you are cooking 1.2 kg or more wings then I would double the marinade batch.
- Note 4 the ginger beer I use if the regular one in the soft drink aisle at the shops. I have tried a nice alcoholic one that you get from the bottle shop and by all means, go ahead if you want to try the R rated version of ginger beer with your wings.
Chinese Style Chicken Wings
There are some recipes that go straight into your heart. For me, these chicken wings are one of them.
They are the kindof of dish that is just so good that you wonder what life was like before trying them!
Honey Soy is a very common popular marinade combination. Honey garlic is a little bit less well known. You might find that after you have tried both, you simply can't pick a favourite. That is all good, I have the solution. Make a batch of both of them!
Give me a shout if something doesn't make sense so I can clarify, I want you to make the bomb diggity of chicken wings and have got your back.
P.S. These wings are likely to fly off the plate, don't be suprised if they are gone 'just like that!'.
If chicken recipes are your thing, then here are some to whet your whistle:
March 28, 2021
January 8, 2021
December 10, 2020
October 11, 2020