Homemade Burgers are the best thing since sliced bread! A juicy beef burger with a side crispy fries make Homemade beef burgers THE BEST!
Recipes like our Air Fryer Sausages, Air Fryer Sausage Rolls and Air Fryer Frozen Onion Rings are fun and lightening fast!
Air Fryer Roast Chicken and either the Air Fryer Corn on the Cob or Air Fryer Onions makes a complete meal!
Air Frying hamburger patties till tender, juicy and succulent is exactly like BBQing them without stepping outside!
Everyone loves a good wrap your chop around it burger!
They are a family favorite, fair style food that has a familiar homely taste, texture and tenderness.
The juicy beef patties, traditional favorites like lettuce, tomato and beetroot, topped with onions and a little sauce are what brings us back time and time again!
Should you add egg to homemade burgers
You don't need to add egg to bind ground beef for burger patties.
This is especially true if you purchase beef mince (ground beef) that is higher in fat and a lower quality (less premium) product.
We do however, season the beef mince with Italian herbs and garlic to enhance the flavour and ensure bites of pure yum with juicy deliciousness.
What can I put in homemade burgers
Skip the egg, the breadcrumbs and loads of additional ingredients when making homemade burger patties.
We want to keep this very simple.
At the end of the day, if you want to only use the ground beef, you can and it will work well.
My preference however, is as listed above, to add some dried Italian herbs and a little minced garlic.
What is the secret to juicy hamburgers
The secret to making juicy hamburgers is to use high fat ground beef or beef mince.
The fat in the meat will seep out a little as it cooks making the beef patties, moist and juicy.
You don't need egg or breadcrumbs or chia seeds.
We simply season the beef mince, handle to meat as little as possible, form patties and cook.
Another trick is to only flip the hamburger patties once whilst cooking.
This and using no flour and no additives will ensure juicy burgers.
What can I have with burgers instead of chips
Burgers and chips go together like Batman and Robin, you can't often imagine one without the other.
It does pay however, to occasionally skip the chips and think creatively both about burger toppings and sides. Some suggestions are:
- Air Fryer Frozen Onion Rings
- Air Fryer Onions
- Homemade sauces
- cheese (melted and delicious)
The sauces that you see in the photos are the Lime Yogurt Sauce (white and creamy) and the Sweet Chilli Mayo (pink and shiny).
The ingredients needed for ultimate homemade burgers are all simple and easy to find at the local shops.
As you can see, the recipe calls for:
- beef mince (ground beef)
- hamburger buns
- pickles (optional)
- Italian herbs
- minced garlic
- spray oil (if desired)
Your burgers can be as original and unique to your flavor combination and taste buds as you wish. There is no limit except your imagination when it comes to toppings, sauces and sides!
Here are the step by step instructions to make the recipe.
We start by seasoning the beef and making the beef patties.
- combine beef, garlic and herbs (Photo 1)
- form beef patties (Photo 2)
- cook beef patties, flipping only once (Photo 3)
- assemble all the ingredients for the burgers (Photo 4)
When seasoning the ground beef, you can simply scoop the garlic and herbs in and stir once or twice to mix.
Once the beef has been seasoned use a chopping board and divide it into 4 piles.
Place your hand up to form a cup with your finger tips together, then shape the patties into circles. Squish them from the top only once during this point, but ensure your patties are well rounded.
To cook your hamburger patties, you can use the stove, oven or BBQ.
I have photos throughout this post of using both a flat frying pan and cooking the patties in the Air Fryer.
Both of these cooking methods produce similar results and for both of these methods, we flip only once and we don't squish the patties from the top more than once.
The burgers will stay together and not break apart if you handle them as little as possible.
If you flip them repeatedly, squish them and try and squeeze the juices out, they will fall apart. As those fatty juices are exactly what keeps the burgers together in the 1st place!
Air fryer chips, Gravy fries and Beer battered onion rings are all next level yum serving ideas.
Frequently asked questions
- homemade burgers are quick and easy!
- the only ingredient that is cooked is the burger patties
- handle the meat as little as possible
- simply season, form patties and flip once
- go for your favorite burger buns
- if air frying, use baking paper, no oil spray
- my Air Fryer is a 7 litre basket version and fits 4 patties
- If you have a smaller Air Fryer you can work in batches
- homemade sauces offer less sickly sweet sauce options
- the recipe will take about 20 mins to bring together
If popular, family orientated recipes work for you, give some consideration to recipes like the Dry Rub Air Fryer Chicken Wings, Air Fryer Sausage Rolls or Air Fryer Honey BBQ Chicken Wings.
This is what I have learnt that will help you master the recipe from the 1st time and every following time:
- don't add egg or breadcrumbs to the burger patties
- choose a cheap high fat low quality (not lean!) beef
- handle the ground beef as little as possible
- don't squish the patties together, form them instead
- try not to push the patties down from the top too much as this will squeeze out the juices when cooking
- cook in a frypan for 5 mins, then flip and cook for another 5 mins
- or cook in the air fryer for 5 mins, flip and cook for a further 5 mins
- if using a fry pan, do use a little spray oil, if using the air fryer, cut patty sized baking paper squares and place them under the patties whilst initially cooking (remove when you flip).
Homemade takeout recipes
If you want to stay in, hang out at home and enjoy good quality enjoyable food, try one of the following recipes:
- Easy Air Fryer Cheeseburgers
- Air Fryer Chicken Burger
- Fried Egg Burger
- BLT Burger
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
- Whole Air Fryer Roast Chicken
- Air Fryer Hot Dogs
PIN and save this recipe for later!
Hunger still got you? You can SUBSCRIBE to receive the latest recipes, follow me on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook.
- Silicon flexible turner
- Chopping board
- Mixing bowl
- 500 grams beef mince (ground beef) Note 1
- 4 hamburger buns
- sliced tomato
- sauce Note 2
- pickles optional
- Add ground beef (beef mince), Italian herbs and minced garlic to a medium sized mixing bowl, stir to combine
- Use a chopping board and portion the seasoned burger meat into 4
- Use your palms vertically to form the patties, without too much pressure and no squishing Note 3
- Spray a fry pan with a little olive oil, slide a silicon flexible turner under the beef patties, and simply slide them off onto the fry pan. Cook at a medium heat for 5 mins. Then slide the turner under, flip the patties and cook for an additional 5 mins Note 4
- Remove cooked hamburger patties from frypan and place on paper towel for 1 min to rest whilst you get the burger toppings ready to assemble
- Start with the burger bun, followed by lettuce, cooked beef patty, sauce, tomato, pickles and close the burgers with the top of the bun
- Serve as is, or with chips or onion rings
- Note 1 Purchase a low quality, high fat beef mince. The fat makes the burger patties juicy, ensuring they don't dry out and are not going to crumble and break apart.
- Note 2 I love making homemade sauces and there are plenty on the blog to choose from. Pair with you favorite flavor combo and skip the sugary too sweet sauces if you can!
- Note 3 I go into more detail about this in the post, that is how to keep the burgers from falling apart. You need to handle the meat as little as possible. Simply form the patties (round shape) and don't squish or flatten them.
- Note 4 If you want it use the Air Fryer. Cut patty sized squares of baking paper. Place the patties onto the baking paper, cook for 5 mins, flip (once only) removing paper (discard) and cook for a further 5 mins.
Annalise Smith says
We will have to try these, burgers are my daughter's favorite food. Thanks
Thanks Annalise for your feedeback!