Air Fryer Chicken Burger that will rock your socks right off! Using seasoned chicken thighs, these air fried chicken burgers are succulent, juicy and dripping with sauce.
- Quick and easy: Hamburgers are good, but some say Chicken Burgers are even better!
- Filling and satisfying: Less likely to have juices running down your arm, they offer a high protein, tasty bite that fills you up!
- High protein: With a chicken thigh seasoned and cooked to perfection, the chicken will keep you full for longer
- Family friendly: Burgers are such a great option as they are loved by all and everyone has their favourite combination! Save the drive through and whip these up for take out at home style cooking!
The ingredients needed for the recipe are all simple and easy to find at the local shops (except for the optional homemade sauce).
As you can see, the recipe calls for:
- chicken thighs (fresh or frozen): these are a healthier alternative to breaded chicken patties. However, sometimes you want to switch it up, either will work for the recipe!
- chicken seasoning: we use this to add flavour to our chicken thighs prior to cooking!
- hamburger buns: you can use hamburger buns or wholegrain rolls for a bit of variety.
- lettuce: I recommend a crispy lettuce, such as cos lettuce. It will provide a little crunch when biting into the burger.
- beetroot: such a great addition to any burger! Ensure any excess juices have been drained so they don't make the burger soggy.
- tomato: you can use standard tomatoes or more oval shaped roma tomatoes, cut into thin slices.
- parsley yogurt sauce: I love a good homemade sauce for my burgers! This is suggested, but it you want to use BBQ sauce or your favorite then go for it! Basil Yogurt Sauce is an option or the Mustard Yogurt Sauce (as also shown in the photos).
- spray oil (if desired)
Top tip: I recommend using a little olive oil on the Air Fryer basket to prevent sticking and to help clean up at the end (no hours spent scrubbing).
Here are the step by step instructions to make the recipe.
We start by Air Frying the chicken thighs. My chicken thighs are thawed.
- Add chicken thighs to zip lock bag and sprinkle with seasoning (Photo 1)
- Spray the Air Fryer basket with a little oil (Photo 2)
- Use tongs to flip the thighs after 10 mins (Photo 3)
- Cook the chicken thighs for an additional 10 mins (Photo 4)
Just like when we BBQ chicken thighs, they will be a little charred like on the outside and soft, tender and succulent on the inside.
In the photo below, you will see that the next step is 'burger assembly'
I have kept the toppings minimal as you don't need a 'works' burger here to feel full, the chicken delivers that with all of its protein.
In the photo above and below you can see I have served my air fried chicken burgers with Mustard Yogurt Sauce. It is a homemade sauce that delivers flavour and texture!
If you want to go all out, you can cook some chips to go on the side of your burgers, as seen in the photo at the top of the post.
How to guide
How to store the recipe
The chicken thighs can be cook and stored in a sealed air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
It is best to keep all of the remaining ingredients separate from each other to prevent soggy burgers.
Can I freeze the recipe
You can marinade then freeze the chicken thighs (raw).
Or you can marinade and then freeze the cooked chicken thighs.
You can also freeze the burger buns.
For any chicken that has been frozen and cooked, it is best not to refreeze.
How to reheat the recipe
You can reheat the chicken thighs in the air fryer (or microwave) it will take approximately 5-10 mins. Test prior to eating to ensure they are heated through.
Variations and Substitutions
You might like the idea of this recipe, but want to switch it up a little. Here are some more ideas to try:
- use frozen chicken patties instead of chicken thighs
- use coleslaw instead of the lettuce, tomato, beetroot combination
- add cheese
- use mayonnaise instead of the sauces suggested
- use gluten free bread as an alternative option
Burgers are good on their own, or you might like to pair them with one of the following:
Frequently asked questions
Can you put raw chicken in an Air Fryer?
Yes, you can put raw chicken in an Air Fryer!
It takes about 20 mins to cook the chicken thighs, with a flip in between and I recommend a little spray of oil on the basket so that they don't stick.
You can use a thermometer to test if the chicken is fully cooked through.
My preferred method, is to use a knife and make a cut very close to the centre of the fillet, look for the sauces that run from the chicken.
If they are clear, the chicken is cooked, if they are pink, the chicken needs further cooking.
You will find that you do this once or twice to learn and master, then after that have a spot on idea of how long they take to cook perfectly, each and every time!
Can you Air Fry a frozen chicken patty?
Yes you can Air Fry frozen chicken patties!
Store bought chicken patties save time, if using these, cook from frozen, do not thaw 1st.
Cooking chicken thighs in the air fryer
I recommend using chicken thighs for this recipe be it raw, thawed or frozen chicken thighs.
If opting for frozen chicken thighs, you will need to keep the temperature the same, but increase the cook time by 5-10 mins.
To ensure that the chicken is cooked through in the centre (and not still frozen) use the method I mentioned above and make a cut in the chicken to test it.
You will only need do this the 1st couple of times when cooking chicken thighs, then you will be a complete pro and 'know' how long they take as you have learnt this along the way.
Why is my chicken dry in the Air Fryer?
There are 2 reasons why chicken can be dry coming from the Air Fryer.
The 1st reason is that it has been cooked for too long.
The second reason is that you used a dry rub or seasoning without any moisture (oil) and the Air Fryer cooked the top of the chicken without any juice to allow the meat to stay succulent.
To avoid over cooking chicken in the Air Fryer, keep an eye on it, check it along the way and test it to see if it is done (before it becomes well done!!)
If quick and easy take away style homemade recipes are your thing, you might like to try the Homemade Burgers, Dry Rub Air Fryer Chicken Wings, Air Fryer Sausage Rolls or Air Fryer Honey BBQ Chicken Wings.
This is what I have learnt that will help you master the recipe from the 1st time and every following time:
- Flip the chicken thighs halfway through cooking
- Test to see that they are fully cooked, by cutting at the centre, the meat should be fully white, not pink
- There will be a little crusty charredness going on with some of the seasoning, eat these as you are prepping the burgers as they are pure yum!
- There are so many sizes and types of Air Fryers that some will cook faster or slower depending on the model, the 1st time you make the chicken burgers, check them along the way to see how they are cooking!
If you love air fried foods, then check out the following recipes for inspiration:
- Easy Air Fryer Cheeseburgers
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
- Whole Air Fryer Roast Chicken
- Homemade Burgers
- Juicy Air Fryer Corn on the Cob
- Air Fryer Honey BBQ Chicken Wings
- Simple Air Fryer Cheese on Toast (too easy!!)
Or you can find all of my Air Fryer recipes in one spot!
PIN and save this recipe for later!
Air Fryer Chicken Burger (Air Fried Chicken B urgers)
- Air Fryer
- Chopping board
- Zip lock bag
- 2 chicken thigh fillets Note 1
- 2 tbs chicken seasoning
- 2 hamburger buns
- sliced tomato
- Parsley Yogurt Sauce optional
- Use paper towel to pat chicken thighs dry, then add to zip lock bag
- Pour chicken seasoning over chicken thighs, seal the bag and massage the seasoning into the chicken
- Turn the air fryer on to 180°C/350 F for 20 mins (allow 5 mins to preheat if your model requires it) Note 3
- Use olive oil to lightly spray the basket of the Air Fryer
- Use kitchen tongs to place the chicken thighs into the Air Fryer, one at a time
- Cook the chicken thighs for 10 mins, then pull the basket out, rest on a heat proof surface, use tongs to flip the chicken thighs and cook for a further 10 mins
- Assemble the burgers starting with the lettuce, chicken thigh, sauce, tomato and burger bun
- Note 1 I use chicken thighs as I find them to be a lot more tender than chicken breast. If you want to use chicken breast instead, you can, but slice it lengthways (1 breast into 2 slices) to thin it out a bit. This will help to make the 'biting' experience of the burger better as you are not chewing through a whole hunk of protein.
- Note 2 This is my Parsley Yogurt Sauce, you can find on the blog, it is optional, but perfect for pairing with chicken and not too sweet!
- Note 3 My Air Fryer does not require pre heating, so I season the chicken with the fryer off, then turn it on when ready to cook. I know that it seems counter intuitive to not list this as the 1st step for the recipe, but as it is technically not, I have added it at the time the step is taken.