Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup, have I just made your dreams come true?
Here is how to make it and it is so easy you are going to love it!! Grilled Cheese with crispy toasted bread, oozing cheese from the insides, delicious creamy tomato soup. You are going to want to dunk and slurp!
What is grilled cheese and tomato soup?
Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup is the delicious thing that is a grilled cheese sandwich served with tomato soup. You get to dunk your grilled cheese sandwich into your soup!! (Ermagawd yum, am I right?) This makes the bread soggy with the delicious soup and a comfort food taste sensation.
Is grilled cheese and tomato soup good for you?
You maybe wondering if grilled cheese and tomato soup is good for you. One of the reasons why I love this recipe is we use fresh ripe tomatoes. Tomatoes are packed with lycopene which is an antioxidant.
The reality is though, this is a grilled cheese sandwich. It is not a salad sandwich my friends. It has cheese and the soup has cream.
But the way I like to think about this is all foods in moderation!
If you were eating a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup every day it is probably not the best method to manage your weight. But if you switch it up with some salads and other lunch ideas thrown in there then you won’t feel that you are depriving yourself. Live a little I say!
Plus I have put all of the grilled cheese and tomato soup calories in the recipe card, so you can read all about it!
Why do grilled cheese and tomato soup go together?
Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese are a match made in heaven as they taste SO good together. This is comfort food at its finest.
Whether it was when you were growing up as a kid or sick and someone looked after you, there are certain foods that provide relief for their simplicity and great flavour. Grilled cheese sandwiches are one of them and then taking it to the next level in making a creamy tomato soup to go with it is SO very good!
I mean, look at this picture. You literally get to dunk your toastie into this delicious soup, what a great a idea!!
What kind of soup goes good with grilled cheese?
There are lots of different soups to try with grilled cheese.
This creamy tomato soup works goes well with the grilled cheese as it has a smooth texture and it absorbs readily into the bread.
The idea of the bread is to be able to dunk it into the soup and have it all sopped up so you have mouthfuls of utter deliciousness!
It is much easier to dunk into a smooth textured soup than to have to push all of the ingredients out of the way to get liquid to dunk with like a minestrone soup for example!
How do you dress up canned tomato soup?
We use a tin of canned tomato soup in this recipe which is a common way of using this versatile ingredient. It is the best way I know to dress up canned tomato soup.
Cooking it with garlic, thyme, freshly sliced tomatoes, dried onion and stock will ensure a lovely smelling soup is bubbling away on your stove.
It enhances the flavour in the soup by adding a concentrated amount of tomato soup. You will notice the extra depth and deliciousness when you are slurping away, licking the soup juices from your chin!
What sandwich goes with tomato soup?
In my mind, grilled cheese sandwiches are THE BEST to go with tomato soup. Not only is a grilled cheese delicious on its own. There is a delicious comfort that can be gained from taking a perfectly toasted sandwich with crispy edges and dipping it into a flavoursome soup. It is one of life’s true joys.
Is grilled cheese unhealthy?
If you are worried that grilled cheese is unhealthy you can try a few different options to reduce the calorie intake. Grilled cheese can be high in saturated fat and salt.
Here are some ways to manage that:
- only eat 1/2 sandwich for a meal with your soup, save the other half for another meal
- cut the sandwich into 4 pieces instead of 2
- use low fat cheese
- reduce the volume of cheese on the sandwich
- use a cooking spray instead of butter for your bread
What goes with tomato soup besides grilled cheese?
To me, a delicious tomato soup is all about the texure. With its smooth consistency it is perfect on its own.
That being said, it is always nice to add a few small touches to your soup so that it is flavour packed!
- adding a little drizzle of fresh cream on top
- tearing and sprinkling fresh parley leaves
- cracked pepper to serve
The most important thing about this recipe is that you have a soup spoon to scoop and a sandwich to dunk!
How to make grilled cheese and tomato soup?
Making grilled cheese and tomato soup is easy! The best method to follow it to firstly get all of your ingredients together.
We want a tomato soup that is made from fresh tomatoes at the same time as being creamy and delicious. We want the grilled cheese to be toasted to perfection with cheese ready to burst forth from the sandwich!
The photo below shows you the ingredients we need to make our creamy tomato soup. The key is to keep the ingredients simple and still keep delicious taste and flavour in mind.
You will see that we use condensed tomato soup that we talked about earlier. This is readily available in tinned format and is SO versatile for cooking. I use it quite a lot and love the rich taste of the soup. Have a look how to use it in a simple meatball sauce right here.
The dried onion will save your tears and the garlic and thyme add a lovely depth of flavour to the soup.
You can use either chicken or vegetable stock. To keep this recipe vegetarian, I use vegetable.
It is nice to also use a little salt and pepper as you add the garlic and tomatoes to the pan. I find 1/2 tsp is plenty with additional crack pepper to serve.
Adding cracked pepper and salt not only seasons the other ingredients, it helps to enhance the flavours in the dish.
How to make tomato soup for grilled cheese
Making tomato soup for grilled cheese is easy! This recipe is really simple. We are getting a both a dish with great texture and a bread and soup combination.
I like to use my dutch oven for this recipe. It makes a big batch of soup that you can portion out to feed a crowd or easily freeze. The soup is great to meal prep or to save for a night you don’t have as much time or energy to cook.
My dutch oven is 3.7 liters so it fits this soup in perfectly and then some!
The steps to make the soup are:
- slice your tomatoes
- add your tomatoes, garlic, thyme, dried onion, salt and pepper to pan
- pour in the condensed tomato soup and vegetable stock
- bring to the boil for 5 mins
- then reduce to a dimmer for 15 mins
- add cream
- use a stick blender to combine until smooth
- top with a drizzle of fresh cream, parsley and cracked pepper
This tomato soup seems simple and easy but it still has great flavour and a smooth texture!
How long to cook tomato soup for grilled cheese
This is a quick recipe, with the challenge being to bring a few separate elements together.
The cook time for the soup is a total of 20 mins. 5 mins being for a hot high cook then 15 mins of simmering to get the juices flowing together.
You can use the time when the soup is simmering to bring your ingredients together for your grilled cheese.
Then when the soup is done, leave it to cool for a bit before blending and use this time to make your grilled cheese.
How to make grilled cheese for tomato soup
If you have a look at the photo below you will see the exact steps needed to as preparation for bringing the grilled cheese and soup together.
The only ‘hard work’ is cutting the tomatoes and buttering your bread! The rest is about throwing it all together and letting it cook!
Can you freeze tomato soup and grilled cheese
You can definitely freeze the tomato soup, it reheats really well.
The grilled cheese can be frozen, but the way to think about that is in steps. For example, you can freeze your bread and cheese separately or you can freeze the sandwich when you have put it together, then bring it out at a later date to grill.
There are a few different options you can have up your sleeve and the reality being most of the ingredients are ones you are likely to have in your pantry as it is!
If you want to freeze your sandwiches, make them, wrap them in cling wrap and place them in the freezer until your next grilled cheese craving comes along!
Grilled cheese and tomato soup questions answered:
About the recipe:
- this recipe involves making both the tomato soup and the grilled cheese
- we use fresh tomatoes
- you can use any bread you like
- this is a vegetarian recipe
- the portion size recommended is 1/2 one sandwich and a small bowl of soup
Your quick questions answered:
- cook time is 20 mins for the soup
- we use freshly sliced tomatoes which are super easy to prepare
- garlic, thyme, salt and pepper are used to season the tomatoes
- use vegetable or chicken stock for soup (vegetable for a vegetarian option)
- the cream gets added right at the end of the cook time
- This is an EASY recipe
Grilled Cheese Recipes
If grilled cheese is new to you, check out these recipes for inspiration:
Winter Warming Recipe Ideas
- Chicken Thighs in Creamy Garlic Wine Sauce (one pot recipe)
- Blue Cheese Mac and Cheese (vegetarian recipe)
- Beef Bean Pasta Bake (family favorite)
- Minestrone Soup (packed with veggies)
- Meatball Tomato Soup (one of my favourites)
Creative grilled cheese sandwich recipes
When it comes to making grilled cheese sandwiches, your imagination is the key to your success. You could try
- adding bacon
- spinach leaves
- grilled cheese with tomato
- left over chicken
These really are the perfect toasted sandwich, so play around a little!
If dunking, spreading and dipping is your thing, you will also love this Chicken Pate recipe. Spread, dip, dunk, repeat!
For further soup ideas check out:
- Potato and Leek Soup (also good to dunk stuff in)
- Minestrone Soup (bright and colourful)
- Chicken Noodle Soup (a good one when feeling sick!)
If you make this recipe, tag @sweetcaramelsunday on Instagram and use hashtag #sweetcaramelsunday Or you can upload a photo (I would love to see) via the pin on my recipes board >> Sweet Caramel Sunday Recipes board >> Pinterest
Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
Creamy Tomato Soup
- 6 tomatoes
- 400 ml condensed tomato soup
- 2 cloves garlic thinly slice
- 1/2 tbs dried onion Note 1
- 1/2 tsp salt to season
- 1/2 tsp cracked pepper to season and to serve
- 1/4 cup parsley to serve
- 2 cups vegetable stock
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 8 slices multigrain sourdough
- 1/2 tbsp dried onion
- 40 grams butter spreadable
Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Thinly slice tomatoes
- Turn on stove to a medium heat. Add olive oil, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper to dutch oven
- Stir for the 1st 5 mins
- Pour in the stock and reduce to a simmer, cook for a further 15 mins.
- Use a stick blender to process until smooth Note 2
- Grilled Cheese
- Butter 1 side of each slice of bread
- Place in pan butter side down
- Top each slice with grated cheese and a sprinkle of the dried onion, place other slice on sandwich
- Cook for 4 mins on medium heat, till cheese has begun to melt and bread toast, then flip and cook the other side Note 3
- Note 1 if you haven't tried dried onion in your cooking, you need to right away! It brings such great flavour to recipes and saves you from cutting a whole onion and crying throughout! I don't mind most food preparation, but cutting onions and peeling their skin has never been my favourite kitchen task. Dried onion is the perfect substitute and won't compromise flavour.
- Note 2 wait a little bit for the soup to cool before blending it. It is much smoother that way and perfect for dunking.
- Note 3 I use a flat kitchen utensil like a scraper with slots to help me flip, you could also use kitchen tongs.
Yes, you are correct the above is a grilled cheese sandwich which has been dunked in tomato soup just waiting for your to get your chops around it!
Or you can stack it…….everyone loves a good grilled cheese stack!
If the above pics make you want to whip up this recipe straight away, then get to it! You really will be making the best grilled cheese combo!
Give me a shout out if you have any questions about this recipe. I want you to love it and enjoy this combination!
P.S. Don’t forget to DUNK IT!
Lunch time is perfect for a grilled cheese sandwich. For further lunch recipes, you might like to check out these recipes: