Easy Crostini is a simple recipe that works for a quick appetizer. With no limit to bread topping ideas like our Rocket and Cashew Pesto, fuss free for crostini canapes will be the talk of the town!
Munching away the day with Bruschetta with Feta. Recipes like our Grazing Platter, Caprese Bites, Baked Brie with garlic and our Spinach Cob Loaf make entertaining easy. Win hearts and fans with the Instant Pot Deviled Eggs recipe!
Assorted Crostini toppings
Make these little toasts in advance and simply pop on the table when guests arrive!
This crostini recipe is simple and easy. Try it with the Labneh dip for a delicious snack!
Here you can learn the basics of how to make crostini (including how to make it ahead of time) and then let your imagine run wild with topping ideas!
Serve with tapenade, cheese, dips or spreads, there are so many possibilities
Can crostini be made ahead of time?
One of the joys of crostini is that it can be made ahead of time! You can make this recipe the day before and store it in a sealed container. Then means that when you are plating your appetizers, you can take it out and have it ready to go!
The toasted bread will stay crispy and crunchy delicious. On the day prepare the crostini with your chosen toppings or simply have them on a plate ready to go with small dip sized bowls of toppings so guests can pick and choose what they want!
With different recipes and ingredient combinations, it is an easy popular choice when entertaining guests.
See the How to Toast Bread in the Oven guide for additional tips and tricks.
Can Crostini be served cold?
Crostini can be served cold making another reason why it is so easy!
If you make it ahead of time and then serve it with a topping such as a tapenade it will be a room temperature appetizer. This will save you time not only through not having to cook this on the day, but also because you can simply top the crostini and plate it for serving.
Switch it up and pop the Crostini on a Dip Platter instead of dips and crackers.
What is the difference between Crostini and Brushcetta?
Crostini and Brushcetta are very similar in that they are both bread topping based recipes.
The main difference between the 2 is their size. Crostini is most commonly made from a long bread stick known as a baguette. Brushcetta on the other hand, is often made from a larger loaf of bread like sourdough or turkish bread.
Crostini is popularly used as an appetizer where as brushcetta is more often used for breakfast or breakfast and much more rarely as an appetizer.
Appetizers using baguettes
The main ingredient you need for this recipe is a baguette. You can easily pick one up at your local grocery store or bakery.
The ingredients for easy crostini are shown in the photo below:
As you can see we need:
- a baguette (also known as a bread stick)
- garlic powder (SO much faster than rubbing with a garlic clove!)
- olive oil
Using garlic powder is another reason why this crostini recipe is so easy!
How to easily make Crostini
The recipe can be broken down into 8 steps. These are shown in the photos below:
- Combine olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder (Photos 1-4)
Use a little whisk to mix the ingredients for the seasoned oil as they will combine consistently
- use a knife to cut the baguette into 2 cm (approx) slices (photo 5)
- lay the bread slices out side by side on a lined baking tray (photo 6)
- use a pastry brush to coat one side of the bread with seasoned oil (photo 7)
- bake the crostini for 10 - 15 mins or till crunchy and golden (photo 8)
Easy Crostini quick info:
About the recipe:
- we use 1 baguette for the recipe
- garlic powder is an easy ingredient to add flavour
- this is a versatile recipe for entertaining
- the recipe uses only 5 ingredients!
FAQs about Easy Crostini
- the baguette in the photos is a simple white bread stick
- we save time by using garlic powder for flavour
- You can prepare this in advance, keep the crostini in an air tight container
- Top with cheese, meat, tomatoes, tapenade or whatever you like!
Your quick questions answered:
- This recipe is super FAST
- The crostini has a slightly salty garlic taste (it is good!)
- It is best to stir or whisk the seasoning oil ingredients together for a well rounded paste
- A pastry brush is an easy way to coat the individual bread slices
- You can make vegetarian or vegan topping ideas easily!
- This is a SUPER EASY recipe
This is what I have learnt:
- I recommend reheating the crostini for a couple of mins in the oven if prepared in advance
- Your baguette may have natural holes from the bread making process, buy 2 to be prepared!
- Stir the seasoned oil mix just before using so that the garlic and salt are mixed in well
- Freeze tapenade in advance for a super easy crostini topping that will take mins to bring together!
Appetizer recipes (fuss free entertaining)
Entertaining is fun and easy, make it simple by choosing reliable recipes that work!
You might need a few more recipes for further inspiration:
- Grazing Platter (to feed a crowd)
- Baked Chicken Meatballs (with homemade satay sauce)
- Mini Quiches (12 different ways)
- Baked Brie with garlic
- Coconut Prawns (with 2 different dipping sauces)
- Cob Loaf (with a cheesy spinach dip)
Use a bread knife if you have one as it is easier to cut through the outer crispy edge of the baguette.
A few goodies that are ideal for this recipe:
- Baking tray
- Bread knife
- Pastry Brush
- Mini whisk
- 1 baguette Note 1
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder Note 2
- Preheat your oven to 180°C / 350-375°F / Gas Mark 4-5
- Combine olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a small jug, use a whisk or mini form to stir together.
- Use a bread knife to cut the baguette into 2cm pieces
- Lay grease proof paper onto a flat baking tray
- Use a pastry brush to coat one side of each bread slice with the seasoned oil Note 3
- Bake for 10 - 15 mins until the bread is crunchy and golden
- Serve with your favourite toppings such as tapenade, cheese, meats or vegetable combinations.
- Note 1 You can get baguette's in a variety of types. Choose from white, wholemeal or tiger which has a pattern on top.
- Note 2 You will be able to find garlic powder in the cooking aisle of the supermarket, with the dried herbs and spices. It is a super handy and convenient ingredients for tons of recipes that need garlic.
- Note 3 When coating your individual pieces with the seasoned oil, go right to the edges of the bread to get the whole piece nice and crispy!
Once you have made this recipe, you will wonder where it has been all of your life and how you need to try it with every single topping you can think of! I am feeling a crostini party is needed to celebrate ASAP!
This one is easy with no fuss entertaining in mind.
I have you covered with simple crostini, so you can grab a glass of wine and enjoy the party too!
Let me know if you have any questions, I would love to hear your feedback in the comments below.