Air Fryer Cheese on Toast is a super fast 5 minute recipe with cheesy deliciousness! Add some cherry tomatoes and dried herbs to take it to the next level!
Why you will love this recipe
This recipe is SO easy and you barely need to lift a finger to pull it together.
It also tastes SO good and uses simple ingredients you likely already have at home.
The ingredients you need are shown in the photo below, they are all simple and easy to find at the local shops.
As you can see, we have:
- bread (you can use your favourite)
- cheese (I use regular or light grated cheese)
- cherry tomatoes (you can also use regular or roma tomatoes)
- dried oregano (you can also use Italian herbs)
- spray oil
If you prefer to use butter you can do that, or if you prefer to use no oil or butter, that will also work!
How do you make Cheese on Toast better
There are some quick and easy ways to take your standard cheese on toast to the next level.
Here are some ideas:
- add tomato
- add dried herbs
- serve with balsamic glaze
- add fresh herbs (eg basil)
- use balsamic vinegar as a dipping sauce
- add Rocket and Cashew Pesto
- or Basil and Cashew Pesto
- add some leftover roast chicken
Or you can add dried onion like in our Cheese and Onion Toastie (an all time favourite grilled cheese!)
How to make the recipe
Here are the step by step instructions to make the recipe.
We take simple steps to bring this dish together, starting with preparing the bread.
- Place bread in Air Fryer and spray with oil (Photo 1)
- Add cheese on top (Photo 2)
- Add chopped cherry tomatoes (Photo 3)
- Then sprinkle with dried oregano (Photo 4)
I find it easiest to add the bread and then 'make' the cheese on toast in the Air Fryer as the ingredients all stay on top.
Frequently asked questions
- You can use your favourite bread
- This a vegetarian recipe
- I use dried oregano you can also use dried Italian herbs
- This is a quick, easy to bring together recipe!
- This recipe uses only 4 ingredients
- Serve with balsamic vinegar for zingy deliciousness!
- You can use frozen bread and toast for a min or so to defrost
- You can use baking paper for minimal clean up!
- My Air Fryer is a 7 litre basket version
- If you have a smaller Air Fryer you can do 1 piece at a time
- This recipe is perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
- It takes about 3 mins to cook the recipe
This is what I have learnt that will help you master the recipe from the 1st time and every following time:
- Try and not overload the toast with cheese as it will ooze over and be messy!
- You can pull the basket out by the handle to check the toast to see how it is cooking
- There are so many sizes and types of Air Fryers that some will cook faster or slower depending on the model, the 1st time you make the recipe, check it after 2 mins to see how it is cooking!
More Air Fryer recipes
If you love Air Frying, then check out the following recipes for inspiration:
- Air Fryer Stuffed Jalapenos
- Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- Easy Air Fryer Pita Chips
- Air Fryer Roasted Red Peppers
- Simple Air Fryer Sausage rolls (perfect party food!)
PIN and save this recipe for later!
Air Fryer Cheese on Toast
- Air Fryer
- 2 slices bread Note 1
- ½ cup grated cheese Note 2
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes Note 3
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano Note 4
- spray oil Note 5
- Turn the air fryer on to 180°C/350 F for 5 mins
- Place bread into the basket or tray of the Air Fryer
- Spray with cooking oil
- Sprinkle enough cheese on top cover the bread
- Add chopped cherry tomatoes
- Sprinkle dried oregano on top of the cherry tomatoes
- Close the Air Fryer and cook for 3 mins, until cheese is melted and lightly golden brown
- Serve immediately
- Note 1 You can use your favourite bread for this recipe. Rye and sourdoughs are my favourite!
- Note 2 You can also use your favourite cheese. A bold cheese like cheddar works well!
- Note 3 If you want to use a larger tomato (ie roma tomatoes), cut and use 1-3 slices per piece of toast
- Note 4 Dried oregano, Italian herbs or thyme are all good flavour combinations with the cheese and tomato
- Note 5 The spray oil is optional, however, I find it makes the bread very crispy and firm so I do recommend using it!
Air Fry on
This is one of my favourite, quick, tasty meals that can be enjoyed anytime of day!
I hope it will soon be one of your favourites also.
If you make the recipe, I would love to get your feedback in the comments below.
Cheesy - check, Easy - check, suitable whenever hunger strikes - yes indeed my friends!