Easy Curry Noodles
One of the reasons why this recipe works so well is because it is easy enough to do on a week night and has maximum flavour!
Easy curry noodles, crisy tofu, chilli coriander and a slurpy broth, you will love this noodle bowl!
How to make Yellow Curry Noodles
You guys are going to LOVE this Vegan Yellow Curry Noodle Bowl! It is SO SO good. You will want to gobble it all up and put the bowl up to your mouth to drink the rest of the curry sauce, it is slurp worthy!
I have been wanting to make more vegan or vegetarian options which taste awesome, but I needed to do a little brain storming to do that as I didn't want to give you guys just any old boring or heaven forbid bland recipe. I find Yellow Curry is a lesser known of the 3 main curry paste colours (red, green and yellow) and not because it doesn't taste as good. In some stores you will only find the red and green, but if you go to a larger supermarket you will get your hands on a jar of yellow curry paste and trust me, once you go yellow, you will never go back!
What is Yellow Curry Paste?
So, let's talk the paste for a second to begin with...............it's a Monday night in Brisvegas and whilst I would love to be cooking right now, I decided to post this recipe tonight and cook tomorrow night. But regardless of it been Monday or Tuesday, I ain't going to have time to make my own curry paste and the rest of this dish if I have work tomorrow, which 5 nights of the week I do (you do, we all do).
So, save the labour intensive cooking for the weekend and for this recipe, use a store bought paste. It is not a bad thing to do that and the flavour of the curry paste is good. If it was crappy and watery or if there was something not so great about it, I wouldn't back myself in saying that.
But.....trust me folks, get the yellow, you will be thanking me later when your face is in the bowl slurping away and you will think 'yeah, now I get what she means, IT IS THAT GOOD!!
Thai Yellow Noodles
This recipe is vegan!
So, as it is a vegan dish, we are using no meat and no animal products to whip up this super awesome yellow curry noodles . You will find that substituting lime juice for the fish sauce will not compromise the flavour but will ensure a full vegan meal.
If you are not vegan and aren't too partial about eliminating all animal products from your diet, then by all means use fish sauce. But I developed this recipe for my die hard VEGAN peeps, as I know the lifestyle choices you make, I respect them and I wouldn't want to serve you only half vegan.
If you like this recipe another one you might be interested in checking out is this Vegan Brown Rice Noodles, it is a really popular with vegans and non vegans alike. Or can I tempt you with a Meatless Monday option and give you another Vegan dish to check out.
Or if you are not massively obsessed with noodles, like I am then I think one of 2 risottos might be up your alley, here is my Enoki Mushroom and Leek Risotto recipe and my Mushroom and Spinach Risotto.
For one last treat.........how about my Super Easy 4 Ingredient Chocolate Bark recipe.......it is not vegan if you use the chocolate melts, but with cacao powder and cacao butter you are onto a winner!
Vegan Yellow Curry Noodles
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- t tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 500g firm tofu organic
- ⅓ jar yellow curry paste without shrimp
- 1 400ml light coconut cream
- 2 70g cup of brown rice noodles either flavour as you will only use the noodles
- 1 410g baby corn spears can
- ½ bunch fresh coriander leaves cilantro for my American friends
- 375 grams mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 long red chillis thinly sliced
- Cut the tofu in half long ways, then repeat until you have small bite sized pieces
- Add the a splash of peanut oil to a medium size fry pan at a medium heat. Add the tofu, season with salt and pepper, cook for 10 mins, using a pair of tongs to turn the pieces till they are lightly brown and crispy. Then remove from heat and rest on paper towel to drain off any excess oil.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, add the other splash of peanut oil. Then add the curry paste and let sizzle for a minute. Fry it in the pan for 2-3 minutes at a medium temperature.
- Add the coconut cream, lime juice and sugar to the saucepan, stir to mix together well. Once the sauce is bubbling and the colour is a consistent yellow turn the heat to a simmer.
- Add the mushrooms and corn to the curry paste, continue to simmer
- Pour boiling water into the noodle cups and let stand for 3 minutes, drain water once cooked
- Add noodles to serving bowls, follow by curry sauce, Top with crispy tofu pieces. Garnish with coriander leaves and chilli
- For full vegan buy the jar of yellow curry paste that is suitable for vegans (alot use shrimp paste)
- For non vegans, use fish sauce instead of lime juice
- For the noodles, discard the seasoning and dried vegetable packet, you only need the noodles
- Brown rice noodles are less common than white noodles, but they are a lot better for you. They are in the same aisle as the normal noodles. My favourite brand is called 'Yoodles'.
This recipe was published on June 4th 2018, it was updated 18th November 2019.