Honey Mustard Chicken Wings are insanely delicious. Will your favorite be our Honey Soy Chicken Wings, our Chili Lime Chicken Wings or our Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Wings?
Much like our Honey BBQ Chicken Wings and Sticky Chicken Wings slow cooker dishes allow us to set and forget! This recipe is easy to follow and results in tender, juicy chicken wings that don't need marinade time.
Serve them with a side of skin on roast potatoes or our horseradish mashed potatoes for a complete meal!
Honey Mustard Chicken Wings use easy ingredients!
We use really simple, basic ingredients for this recipe.
It is the combination of these household staples that creates delicious flavour and texture and you will want to drizzle the honey mustard sauce on everything you can eat. It is so creamy and delicious.
There is no long marinade time for these wings. Simply coat them using a pastry brush, flip them over and do the other side, set your slow cooker and forget! Talk about easy slow cooker chicken wings. They pretty much cook themselves!
Honey Mustard Wings are sweet and sticky with fall of the bone tender chicken. They are a complete opposite taste and texture sensation to our Chili Lime Chicken Wings (Think chalk and cheese). But luckily both are damn tasty and de-licious!
What ingredients are in Honey Mustard Chicken Wings?
Most of the ingredients for this recipe are probably already in your kitchen, making this an easy recipe.
Each ingredient you will need is set out in the photo below:
Ingredients needed are:
- chicken wings
- mustard seeds
- garlic powder
- dried onion
The black mustard seeds add texture and taste to the wings, you can use yellow ones also if you like.
How do you make Honey Mustard Chicken Wings?
Making Honey Mustard chicken wings in the slow cooker is so easy! Think set and forget.
The 1st thing we need to do is to make our honey mustard marinade. This also becomes a honey mustard sauce later on the in process, as we want a delicious thick golden sauce to serve with our wings.
A pastry brush is a handy utensil to have for this process as it makes it super easy to coat the wings.
If you have a look at the photo below, you will see that there is 16 steps to take when making slow cooker honey mustard chicken wings.
This process is different to our Chili Lime Chicken Wings as for that recipe we make our marinade and place the wings in a zip lock bag to marinate. For this recipe, we don't need to do that. Once the wings have been marinated, we simply set the temperature on the slow cooker and leave it to do its thing.
Here is how to cook slow cooker chicken wings:
- Combine mustard, honey, mustard seeds, onion, salt, pepper (shown in photos 1 - 8)
- Spray your slow cooker with cooking oil (shown in photo 9)
- Place chicken wings into the slow cooker (shown in photo 10)
- Coat chicken wings with honey mustard marinade (shown in photos 11-13)
- Add cream to honey mustard and stir to combine (shown in photo 14)
- Cook for 2 hrs on high or 4 hrs on low
- Pour honey mustard sauce into slow cooker (shown in photo 15)
- Cook for further 30 mins - 1hr on high or 1hr - 2hrs on low (shown in photo 16)
Seriously guys, this IS SUCH AN EASY RECIPE. The 1st time I made them was a week night, after work tired and hungry, not wanting to make a big mess to clean up later and they ticked every box and then some.
Slow Cooker chicken wings are perfect for those nights when you want home cooked but your energy levels are not what you would like them to be.
4 essential steps to Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
As much as this recipe is about following the steps and doing things one after the other. There are 4 essential steps in the recipe instructions that are the reason why these chicken wings taste so good.
I have highlighted these in the photo below.
Instructions to make honey mustard chicken wings
As you can see we:
- combine the marinade ingredients
- coat the wings with the honey mustard marinade
- add cream to leftover marinade
- pour honey mustard sauce into slow cooker for final cooking period
These steps are the ones which make and honey and mustard combination the bomb diggity!
As each method for making chicken wings will vary across recipes, especially if you are doing oven baked, grilled, bbq or slow cooker wings, it is important to know which steps are the ones that are unique and specific to the flavours we are working with.
You simply cannot go wrong with this honey mustard recipe!
Honey Mustard Sauce
When we coat our chicken wings with the honey mustard marinade, there will be some of it leftover in the bowl.
This is perfect.
We add cream to this leftover marinade and stir till it is thoroughly mixed together.
This results is a thick, creamy and delicious honey mustard sauce that is perfect to drizzle all over our wings.
Some chicken wings recipes are sweet, some sticky, some hot and some spicy. These honey mustard chicken wings are thick and have a great texture from the mustard seeds, they are seriously finger licking good chicken!
What to cook with wings
Of course, you don't have to serve your wings as a meal, you might want them to be finger food for entertaining and that is a - ok.
If however, you want to make a meal out of them, here are some winning sides that work.
Sides to serve with chicken wings
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Shredded Brussel Sprouts Salad (everyone loves this one!)
- Garlic, lemon and roasted brussels sprouts like in our Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Edamame Quinoa Salad
FAQs to cook your Honey Mustard Chicken Wings
- Chicken drumettes are easy as the butcher has cut the wings for you
- The mustard seeds add great texture
- The wings will take 2-3 hrs on high or 3-4 hrs on low (includes sauce cooking)
- The honey mustard sauce is made from the left over marinade
- Simple sides work well, potato salad, green salad or green beans
- Spray your slow cooker bowl with cooking oil to aid clean up
Honey Mustard Chicken Wings quick info:
About the recipe:
- the marinade is simple to make and only needs stirring
- there is no marinade time, simply coat and cook
- make the sauce by adding cream
- 800 grams is approximately 13 chicken wing pieces (wings cut into pieces)
- you can make 1 kg of chicken wings with this recipe
Your quick questions answered:
- Honey Mustard Chicken Wings taste tangy and creamy
- My slow cooker is 5l
- Serve the wings with drizzled honey mustard sauce (OMG!)
- This is an EASY SLOW COOKER recipe
Expert honey mustard chicken wing cooking tips:
These are my best tips for this recipe:
- use tongs to transfer the wings into the slow cooker
- a pastry brush is perfect to base the wings
- do one side, then use your tongs to flip the wings, then do the other side
- when pouring sauce into the slow cooker, use a spoon to scrape the mustard seeds in as well
CHICKEN WING RECIPES (to inspire you!)
I am hoping I have found a kindred spirit in you and that you like chicken wings as much as I do. They are seriously good in my mind! If you haven't tried them, jump in the car and go to the shops ASAP to grab the ingredients. Once you are done, let me know how you do as you will get what I am talking about!
If it is chicken in general that you love cooking, then you can wet your whistle with these chicken recipes.
For further inspiration and flavour combinations for wings, check out these recipes:
- Honey Soy Chicken Wings
- Honey Garlic Chicken Wings
- Chili Lime Chicken Wings
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Wings
Honey Mustard Chicken Wings
- Slow Cooker
Honey Mustard Chicken Wings (Slow Cooker)
- 800 grams chicken wings Note 1
- ½ cup honey
- ⅓ cup Dijon mustard Note 2
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds Note 3
- 1 tablespoon dried onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup cream Note 4
Honey Mustard Chicken Wings
- Spray slow cooker bowl with cooking oil
- In a mixing bowl add mustard, honey, mustard seeds, dried onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper, stir to combine.
- Use tongs to place chicken wish tongs flat on a the base of the slow cooker
- Use a pastry brush to coat one side of the wings with the honey mustard marinade
- Flip the wings to the other side and coat again
- Cook for 2 hrs on high or 4 hrs on low
- Add cream to left over honey mustard marinade and stir to combine
- Pour honey mustard sauce into slow cooker, covering wings.
- Cooker for another 30 mins - 1 hr on high, 1 hr to 2 hrs on low.
- Serve with drizzled honey mustard sauce
- Note 1 you can purchase chicken wings and cut them into 3 pieces yourself removing the tips as you go or you can purchase wings that have already been cut (so much easier if you are looking to save time)
- Note 2 if you have a look at my Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs, you will see that i use Hot English Mustard for that chicken. You can use that type of mustard for these wings if you prefer. The difference is that Dijon is smoother and has less heat or tang to it. Both taste great in a honey mustard recipe.
- Note 3 you might find that yellow mustard seeds are easier to find than black mustard seeds. Both work well. I used yellow in the Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs recipe so I wanted to show you the use of black mustard seeds in this recipe. They are brilliant for adding texture in recipes.
- Note 4 you can use greek yoghurt or milk if you prefer to cream. If using yoghurt, use the same amount, if using milk, use ½ the amount, ie ¼ cup not ½ cup.
- Note 5 In Australia 'yoghurt' is spelt as such, in other countries, it is commonly spelt 'yogurt'.
- Note 6 An Australian tablespoon (20 ml) is bigger than the size used in other countries. For example in America the measure is 0.68 US fl oz or 15ml. For this recipe the different doesn't matter too much, it is just something to be aware of in following this recipe.
- Note 7 Serving size is per piece, 3 pieces = 1 wing.
Slow cooker wings are seriously amazing and you have to try them to see how incredibly easy they are! There is literally no hard work involved and you end up with succulent juicy chicken.
There is a pub near me who do 50 cent wings on the terrace on a Friday night, they are cheap as chips really! Beer and chicken wings = time well spent.
The thick, creamy texture of the marinade and sauce is what sets these wings apart from your baked, fried or bbq wings.
For a honey mustard recipe or a honey mustard chicken sauce that will you will daydream about try this seasoned wings recipe and let me know in the comments how you go!
Honey and mustard go great together. I love this dressing. Thanks for sharing.
No worries Emese. Thanks for your feedback!