Sweet Chilli Chicken Thighs are succulent, juicy and tender. This one pan recipe is perfect any night of the week and gets sweet and sticky Winner Winner Chicken Dinner on the table in 20 mins!
What eat Sweet Chilli Sauce with
Sweet Chilli Sauce is a versatile ingredients with a number of serving options!
You can use it as a dipping sauce like with our Coconut Prawns.
Use in a noodle salad for dressing or in a sweet and sticky marinade like this recipe.
The ingredients for this recipe are simple and easy to find at the local shops. They are set out in the photo below so you can see exactly what you need:
As you can see, we have:
- chicken thighs
- sweet chilli sauce
- soy sauce
- olive oil
I use skinless, boneless chicken thighs for this recipe and the marinade will cover up to 4 chicken thighs!
Instructions to make Sweet Chilli Chicken Thighs
The photos below are the easy step by step instructions you need to bring this dish together:
Sweet Chilli Chicken Marinade
We start by making the marinade for the chicken.
- Add salt and pepper to a small glass or jug(Photo 1)
- Pour in sweet chilli sauce (Photo 2)
- Add soy sauce (Photo 3)
- Stir to combine (Photo 4)
If you want to use some of the marinade for sauce to drizzle over the chicken, simply reserve a couple of spoonfuls and set aside
- Baste the chicken with the marinade (Photo 5)
- Do one side to begin, then flip to the other side (Photo 6)
I find it easy to use a pastry brush to coat the chicken as it does a great job of getting a thick even coverage.
The chicken can be marinated anywhere from 5 mins to overnight. If you are in a hurry, it is fine to coat the chicken, then cook straight away.
- Place the marinated chicken into the fridge (Photo 7)
- Season griddle, skillet or fry pan with oil (Photo 8)
- Cook the chicken thighs for 7 mins (Photo 9)
- Flip and do the other side for the same (Photo 10)
You can use your tongs and flip the chicken as it is cooking more often (hear the sizzle!), this will also help it not to stick.
The chicken will be cooked when the juices run clear, so test it to ensure it is cooked (around the 14 minute mark). There should be no pink flesh and no pink juice.
The chicken will also need to rest for a couple of minutes after it is cook, so turn the heat off and let it sit for a couple of minutes
Frequently asked questions
- there is 5 total ingredients for this recipe!
- the oil is used on the pan, not in the marinade
- portion size is 1 chicken thigh per person
- we use skinless boneless chicken thighs
- this is a simple recipe that comes together easily
- the marinade uses only 4 ingredients
- marinade time can be short or long
- use a griddle to get the grill marks on the chicken
- the olive oil seasons and helps the chicken not stick to the pan
- I serve this with coconut rice made in the microwave
- the recipe takes approx 20-25 mins
- This is an EASY recipe
There is an unlimited amount of serving ideas that you can pair with Sweet Chili Chicken Thighs.
- Thai Chicken Pizza
- chicken salad
- chicken sandwich
- grilled chicken toastie
If you want a meal out of it, I often serve with coconut rice, steamed greens, toasted coconut and roasted nuts. Oh and a couple of lime wedges for fresh zingy-ness!
These tips are to help you master this recipe from the 1st time you make it:
- make the marinade as the 1st step
- you can cook the chicken straight away without refrigerating once marinated, however, ensure it is brushed over the chicken (so it sticks) and not poured straight into the pan (it will be burn quickly and be very hard to clean the pan!)
- ensure pan is well seasoned with oil so chicken won't stick to it (Important!!)
- serve with rice and greens
- freeze this recipe for easy meals on week nights
😍 More Easy Chicken recipes
Chicken is easy to cook, works well with other flavors and cheap to buy!
Here are some further recipes to try:
- Baked BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Oven Chicken Kabobs
- Mexican Lime Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Noodle Stir Fry
- Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
- Creamy Garlic Chicken Thighs
Or have a look at all chicken recipes for inspiration.
PIN and save the recipe for later!
Sweet Chilli Chicken Thighs
- Kitchen Tongs
Sweet Chilli Chicken Thighs
- 3-4 skinless boneless chicken thighs
- ⅓ cup sweet chilli sauce
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Sweet Chilli Lime Chicken Thighs
- Make the marinade by combining sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce, salt and pepper in a small jug
- Add chicken thighs to a bowl and use a pastry brush to coat both sides with the chicken marinade, place on fridge for 10 or more minutes
- Season griddle with olive oil, use tongs to place into pan and grill at a medium heat for 7 mins each side. Note 1
- Turn heat off, rest for 1-2 mins then serve with rice and greens
- Note 1 You can use your tongs and flip the thighs before the 7 minutes (helps them not stick to the pan), but you will still need to cook them for 7 minues or 14 minutes in total. I like to rotate them a few times during that period, hear the sizzle and see the griddle marks form!