Roast Chicken Salad is quick and easy to prepare with a simple zingy balsamic vinegar dressing! This epic roast chicken salad is made from a store bought rotisserie chicken ticking all of the boxes with convenience and taste!
Recipes like our Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken make winner winner it's chicken dinner an easy option any night of the week!
Our Grilled Chicken Bruschetta is fuss free and quick to prepare!
Using a store bought roast chicken saves times and energy without cutting corners on flavour and texture!
Is Chicken Salad supposed to be cold?
Chicken salad doesn't have to be cold.
In fact, with this recipe you can have warm chicken, cold chicken or hot chicken. The options are limitless!
If you want to take this salad as your plate to a pot luck, BBQ with mates or picnic with friends, you can make it in advance and keep the dressing separate until you are ready to serve.
Or if you are low on energy and dinner on the table stat is your priority, then grab a Woolies or Coles roast chicken on the way home, throw the rest of the salad on the plate and then tear the chicken apart and throw it on warm.
This is a versatile salad that feeds a crowd!
What goes with Chicken Salad for dinner?
Chicken salad is great for lunch but also works for dinner!
In fact, any of the potato dishes in the roasted potato side dishes collection would be the perfect way to serve your roast chicken salad!
The ingredients for this recipe are simple and easy to find at the local shops. They are set out in the photo below so you can see exactly what you need:
As you can see, we have:
- roast chicken
- rocket leaves (can use spinach if you prefer)
- cherry tomatoes
- balsamic vinegar
The croutons add texture and crunch to the dish and the balsamic vinegar adds a flavour packed zingy-ness!
How to make main dish chicken salad recipe
The photos below are the easy step by step instructions you need to bring this dish together:
- remove any string and cut/tear the chicken meat from the carcass (Photo 1)
- use a knife to slice the cucumber (Photo 2)
- finely chop the shallots into pieces (Photo 3)
- slice the cherry tomatoes in halves (Photo 4)
If you want even less chopping for your salad, throw the cherry tomatoes in as they are!
It doesn't take long to pull the chicken off the bones and the beetroot and lentils require minimal prep time.
Roast Chicken and salad instructions
- start to plate your salad with the rocket leaves Photo 5)
- then add the slice cucumber Photo 6)
- drained and rinsed lentils (Photo 7)
- and the beetroot (Photo 8)
You can use either beetroot cubes, like I have done, beetroot slices or small baby beets which are the round little beetroot balls.
Chicken and beetroot is a winning combination for salad as the 2 flavours compliment each other so well and it is a nice change from a garden salad with chicken!
- add cherry tomatoes to the salad (Photo 9)
- then add your shredded chicken (hot, warm or cold) (Photo 10)
- sprinkle the chopped shallots over the chicken (Photo 11)
- then add the croutons on top (Photo 12)
The salad is ready to serve once the ingredients have been brought together in a salad bowl (it will need to be a big bowl) or plate.
Keeping the dressing separate till you are ready to serve it saves it from becoming a soggy salad!
Healthy Roast Chicken Salad info
About the recipe:
- there is 9 total ingredients for this recipe!
- you can substitute spinach leaves for the rocket leaves if you prefer
- this is a large salad and will feed 4 - 6 people
- you can use a store bought roast chicken or roast a chicken specifically for the salad!
FAQs about Roast Chicken and Salad
- this is a super easy recipe that is quick to prepare
- the chicken can be hot, warm or cold
- the beetroot only needs to be drained
- the lentils need to be drained and rinsed
- the balsamic vinegar is used as is straight from the bottle (TOO easy!)
Your quick questions answered:
- we use the whole roast chicken for this salad
- serve with a roast potato side dish for a main dish chicken salad
- the recipe takes approx 15 mins (with no cook time if you use a bought chook)
- This is an EASY recipe
These tips are to help you master this recipe from the 1st time you make it:
- use a chopping board, remove any string then start carving the chicken from the breast
- remove the breasts, legs, wings then pull and tear the chicken like shredding
- set the chicken aside whilst you prepare the rest of the salad
- you will need a large platter or bowl for this salad, it is HUGE!!
- portion the leftovers into containers for easy grab and go week day lunches!
- prep this salad on the weekend so meals are ready during the week
This salad has everything you need. We have pops of colour, a variety of taste and textures, protein, sweetness from the balsamic and savory sensations dance on your tongue as well!
For chicken recipes that get the dish on the table fast, have a look at these ideas:
- Asian Chicken Pizza
- Chicken Noodle Stir Fry
- Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
- Chili Lime Chicken Wings
- Honey Soy Chicken Stir Fry
- Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Bruschetta
These recipes are to bring ease and convenience to your week! Give them all a go one by one and bookmark your favourites!
Who needs to cook a chicken when you can grab a cooked one and make this in 3, 2, 1!
Roast Chicken Salad
- Chopping board
- Standard chopping knife
- Large platter or salad bowl
- Small bowl for dressing
- 1 whole roast chicken Note 1
- 120 grams rocket leaves Note 2
- 425 grams beetroot drained, not rinsed Note 3
- 400 grams lentils drained and rinsed, Note 4
- 250 grams cherry tomatoes Note 5
- 1 continental cucumber
- 1 bunch shallots
- 1 cup croutons Note 6
- balsamic vinegar to serve
- Place your roast chicken on a chopping board, remove any stuffing and strings and then begin to carve it and remove it from the carcass
- Use a knife to slice the cucumber, finely chop the shallots and cut the cherry tomatoes in halves.
- Begin to bring the salad together, starting with the rocket leaves, then the cucumber, lentils, beetroot, cherry tomatoes, shallots and croutons
- When ready to serve dress salad with balsamic vinegar and toss.
- Note 1 I use a store bought roast chicken as it is SO easy and saves time cooking a chicken
- Note 2 Rocket leaves have a peppery bitter taste and are a great addition to many recipes. If you like you can substitute spinach leaves for the rocket.
- Note 3 This is a standard tin of beetroot. My favourite is the diced style, but you can also use sliced or beetroot balls, whichever is your favourite!
- Note 4 This is a standard tin of lentils. So if you grab a jar or a tin, drain and use them, don't worry if you get a 420 gram tin for example, use them all as to not waste them (or have the dreaded small amount of them leftover in the fridge!)
- Note 5 This is a standard punnet of cherry tomatoes
- Note 6 I do make my own croutons and it is fun and easy (loads of garlic) but if in a hurry, grab the ones from the store as it doesn't get much easier than that!! (x)
- Note 7 For the balsamic vinegar is it VERY STRONG in flavour and you only need a little bit. 2 - 3 tablespoons for the whole salad is enough an drizzle it out so it doesn't sit just in one pool of liquid.