Cream Cheese Jalapeno Poppers are the best thing since sliced bread! These bacon stuffed vegetable appetizers will rock your jalapeno socks!
Every home needs easy entertaining recipes like our Grazing Platter , Caprese Bites, Easy Crab Cakes, Baked Brie with garlic and Spinach Cob Loaf. Christmas needs our Baked Camembert with Cranberry Sauce.
These jalapeno poppers are a one hand appetizer that bring a bit of spice to the party!
What are jalapenos?
Jalapenos are a green chilli vegetable that are a little bit spicy.
Commonly used with nachoes and other Mexican recipes, they add a kick of flavour, as well as variety in taste and texture.
Usually about thumb length they are a carrot type shape and have a little stem at the top.
Once cut in half, they can be stuffed with your favourite fillings to make jalapeno poppers which are insanely popular!
How do you make stuffed jalapenos less spicy?
To make jalapenos less spicy we need to remove the seeds and filling.
I have worked with my friends over at Everten Love to Cook as they have a handy knife set which provides all the tools for a recipe like this!
This Wusthof Classic Ikon 8pc Knife Block Set is the very thing you need in your kitchen and I am going to show you how to use 3 pieces from this set to make our jalapeno poppers!
Cream Cheese Jalapeno Popper ingredients
The photo below shows you exactly what we need for this recipe.
As you can see, we have:
- coriander (my is home grown from my garden woot!)
- cream cheese
- diced bacon
- panko breadcrumbs
- tasty cheese (light is fine!)
- garlic powder
- dried onion
- salt and pepper
The jalapenos will often be cheaper and available in bulk from your local fruit shop!
How to make Jalapeno Poppers with cream cheese
The photos below show you the steps we take to make this recipe, it is a little fiddly but SO worth it!!
- Cut the jalapenos lengthways in half (Photo 1) (Using Wusthof Classic Ikon Carving Knife 20cm)
- Remove the seeds a stem from the inides (Photo 2) (Wusthof Classic Ikon Paring Knife 8cm)
- If needed rinse the jalapenos so they are ready to stuff! (Photo 3)
- Fry bacon until cooked and use paper towel to drain (Photo 4)
You won't need oil for the bacon if you use a non stick surface as it will render in its own fat
- Start the stuffing with the cream cheese in a medium bowl (Photo 5)
- Add the cooked bacon (Photo 6)
- Season with salt and pepper (Photo 7)
- Add dried onion (Photo 8)
We maximise flavour in our stuffing by adding the cooked bacon, dried onion, garlic powder, tasty cheese, salt, pepper and coriander!
- Add the garlic powder (can use fresh is you wish) (Photo 9)
- Use kitchen scissors to chop the coriander (Photo 10) Wusthof Classic Ikon Pull Apart Scissors
- Add chopped herbs and cheese (Photo 11)
- Use a spoon to stir (Photo 12)
- Stir, stir, stir till stuffing is consistent (Photo 13)
- Stuff the jalapenos with the cream cheese mix (Photo 14)
- Sprinkle panko breadcrumbs over cream cheese filling (Photo 15)
- Bake for 15 - 20 mins in the oven (Photo 12)
And, as I know you guys know that I love before and after photos, here you go:
Cream Cheese Stuffed Jalapenos quick info:
About the recipe:
- we use 12 jalapenos
- which we cut in half, making 24 jalapeno poppers
- removing the seeds and inner stem makes them less spicy!
- we cook the bacon before adding it to the stuffing
- the cream cheese needs to be at room temperature for easy stirring!
- you can use minced garlic instead of garlic powder if you like
FAQs about jalapeno poppers with cream cheese filling
- it only takes about 20 mins to oven bake this appetizer
- don't worry if you cut right through a jalapeno the filling is quite firm
- these can be made in advance then oven baked as the guests arrive!
- Serve with Greek Yoghurt
Your quick questions answered:
- This recipe is easy but a little fiddly!
- The poppers are best served HOT!
- This recipe is FREEZER FRIENDLY (before cooking)
- This is the perfect appetizer!
This is what I have learnt:
- I don't use gloves (but if you have lots of paper cuts, you made need them)
- Use the knife to cut the inner stem crossways and a teaspoon to scoop the seeds out
- Ensure you are using roo temperature cream cheese so it is ready for stirring!
- make and freeze this recipe for easy entertaining!
Appetizer recipes (party food ideas)
These ideas are to inspire you and give you options that work and are not overly complex.
- Chicken Liver Pate
- Coconut Prawns (with 2 different dipping sauces)
- Grazing Platter (to feed a crowd)
- Baked Chicken Meatballs (with homemade satay sauce)
- Mini Quiches (12 different ways)
- Baked Brie with garlic
- Baked Camembert with Cranberry Sauce
I almost feel the need to warn you these cream cheese stuffed jalapenos are SERIOUSLY amazing!
Don't say I didn't give you the heads up when you gobble down one, then another, then another.
Luckily the recipe makes a good few so you will stop the jalapeno obliteration at some point, but give your friends a shout and they can take care of the rest.
The BEST ever dipping sauce for these is simply Greek Yoghurt! Throw some in a bowl and pop it on the plate with the poppers. Everyone will get their dunk on!
Cream Cheese Jalapeno Poppers
- Baking tray
- 12 jalapenos
- 250 grams cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup diced bacon Note 1
- 2 tbsp dried onion
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ½ cup tasty cheese
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat your oven to 180°C / 350-375°F / Gas Mark 4-5
- Use a sharp knife to cut lengthways along the jalapenos (in half)
- Use a smaller sharp knife to remove the seeds from the jalapenos
- If you want you can rinse the jalapenos at this stage (Note 1)
- Use a flat fry pan and cook the bacon for approximately 5 mins, stirring as it cooks
- In a medium sized mixing bowl add cream cheese, cook bacon, dried onion, garlic powder, chopped coriander, salt, pepper and tasty cheese. Use a spoon to thoroughly combine
- Use a bread knife and spoon the cream cheese mix into each jalapeno half, repeat till all are filled (Note 3)
- Sprinkle panko breadcrumbs on top of all of the poppers
- Place baking rack on middle shelf of oven for 15 - 20 mins (Note 4)
- Serve with Greek Yoghurt
- Note 1 For this type of recipe it is SO much easier to use diced bacon. It is not that much more expensive than bacon rashers and it will save time in chopping/dicing the bacon.
- Note 2 Whilst it is not necessary to rinse your jalapeno halves, you can if you wish as it will help to remove any additional seeds.
- Note 3 I find a knife the easiet way to stuff my jalapeno poppers. Simply spread as you would butter, and the cream cheese mix will fill the jalapeno half easily.
- Note 4 The poppers will be ready when the breadcrumbs are toasted to a light golden brown colour.
These jalapeno poppers are the bomb diggity! The jalapeno has a chewy texture once baked and the cream cheese filling will melt in your mouth!
If bacon and cream cheese are not a match made in heaven I don't know what it!!
Jalapeno poppers - check, cream cheese filling - check, bacon-ey deliciousness check, a little kick of spice, you betcha!
This knife block is so handy and useful for every occasion, if you want to slice, dice and chop your way through your day, then you have to give it a go!
Let me know if you have any questions, I would love to hear your feedback in the comments below.