Baked Meatballs in Sauce are a delicious oven baked recipe.! This easy meatball recipe results in soft and juicy meatballs that you can serve with pasta, garlic bread or zucchini!
Everyone loves meatballs! Whether they are slow cooked like my Meatballs in Sauce, or popped into soup like the Meatball Tomato Soup, there is a recipe for each occasion!
Meatballs are an easy versatile dinner option!
If spaghetti is your thing with a hearty beef mince try the Slow Cooker Spaghetti Bolognese.
- Is it better to cook meatballs in sauce or in oven?
- How long does it take to cook meatballs in sauce?
- Savory Italian Meatballs
- Easy Italian Meatballs steps
- Baked Meatballs in Sauce recipe quick info:
- FAQs about Easy Italian Meatballs
- Your quick questions answered:
- Tasty Tips
- 😍 More Easy Pasta Recipes
- 📖 Recipe
Is it better to cook meatballs in sauce or in oven?
Browning meatballs before putting them in a sauce is a widely popular cooking technique.
This method helps lock in the flavour of the meat and will give a slightly different texture to your cooked meatballs.
Another option is to pop the meatballs into a pan, cover with sauce and let them cook in the sauce without browning.
You can do whichever method you prefer.
For this recipe, I am showing you how to make your meatballs, cook them in the oven a little 1st, then pour the sauce in for the remaining cook time.
How long does it take to cook meatballs in sauce?
When we put the meatballs into the oven initially, we want to let them cook for about 15 mins.
After that, we remove the pan, pour our sauce over the meatballs, then return them to the oven to cook in the sauce for the remainder of the time.
All up it will take approximately 40 mins for the meatballs and sauce to cook.
Savory Italian Meatballs
To serve these savory Italian meatballs, you have a couple of different options. Try:
- adding to pasta
- serving with spaghetti
- zucchini noodles
- long thinly grated raw zucchini pieces
- on a long subway sandwich
- with garlic bread
These meatballs are kid friendly, freezer friendly and reheat well!
We use simple, everyday ingredients for this recipe. The photo below shows you what you need. Please refer to the printable recipe card for specific measurements.
As you can see, we have:
- beef mince (can use pork, lamb or chicken)
- diced tomatoes
- tomato soup
- parmesan cheese
- dried onion
- Italian herbs
- salt and pepper
Top Tip: I have used beef mince for the meatballs, but you can also use pork, lamb or chicken)
Here are the step by step instructions to make the recipe. We start by adding the ingredients for the meatballs to a mixing bowl.
- finely chop your parsley (Photo 1)
- combine meatball ingredients, starting with beef mince (Photo 2)
- salt and pepper (Photo 3)
- Italian herbs (Photo 4)
You will need a medium size mixing bowl so you can get your hands in and combine the ingredients for rolling into balls
These Italian Meatballs sing from the parsley and Italian herbs mixed throughout!
- crack an egg into your mince mix (Photo 5)
- use clean hands to combine the ingredients (Photo 6)
- roll your mince into meatballs in the palms of your hands (Photo 7)
- cover the baking dish and oven bake for 15 mins (Photo 8)
Easy Italian Meatballs steps
- pour sauce into to cover meatballs (Photo 9)
- oven bake for at least 25 minutes (Photo 10)
- add parmesan cheese and cook for 5 more minutes (Photo 11)
- remove from oven and top with chopped parsley (Photo 12)
Baked Meatballs in Sauce recipe quick info:
About the recipe:
- we use 10 total ingredients for this recipe!
- you can use pork, lamb or chicken mince if you prefer
- this recipe will feed 4 people
- we need dried Italian herbs
- serve with fresh parsley
FAQs about Easy Italian Meatballs
- the meatballs are Italian flavoured
- they are soft and juicy with a cheesy tomato sauce
- you can make the tomato sauce and meatballs ahead of time and cook when ready
- the meatballs can be kept uncooked in the fridge for 2 days
Your quick questions answered:
- This is a quick and easy recipe
- The recipe makes approx 30 - 35 meatballs
- This is a FREEZER FRIENDLY recipe
- This is an EASY recipe
Here are my top tips and tricks so that you can get the recipe right from the get go:
- Roll the meatballs into 1 or 2 bite size balls.
- Add a little spray oil to the bottom of a pan before adding the meatballs to cook.
- Cook the meatballs without sauce for approx 15 mins to begin.
- Pour in sauce and cook for another 25 mins.
- Freeze this recipe for easy meals during the week.
Serve your meatballs with pasta one week and zucchini noodles the next!
Pop some Parmesan cheese and cracked pepper on your meatballs and you are good to go!
😍 More Easy Pasta Recipes
If spaghetti and meatballs makes all of your dreams come through, then these recipes will likely be right up your alley:
- Instant Pot Penne Pasta
- Blue Cheese Mac and Cheese
- Ground Beef Casserole
- Penne Bolognese
- Tuna Pasta Bake
- Slow Cooker Spaghetti Bolognese
- Smoked Salmon Spaghetti
- Sausage Spaghetti
If a pesto based pasta rings all your bells, then try the Rocket and cashew Pesto and simply stir it through cooked spaghetti like the Rocket Pesto Pasta.
Now go and get rolling!
Hunger still got you? You can SUBSCRIBE to receive the latest recipes, follow me on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook.
Baked Meatballs in Sauce
- Mixing bowl
- 500 grams beef mince Note 1
- 1 tbs Italian seasoning Note 2
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic Note 3
- 1 tablespoon dried onion Note 4
- ⅓ cup cup finely chopped parsley Note 5
- 400 grams diced tomatoes Note 6
- 400 grams condensed tomato soup
- 1 egg
- Parsley to garnish
- Parmesan cheese to garnish
- cracked pepper to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 180°C / 350-375°F / Gas Mark 4-5
- Spray skillet with cooking oil
- Combine beef mince, egg, salt, pepper and parsley in a medium sized mixing bowl
- Use clean hands to mix meatball ingredients together
- Roll into small balls with the palm of your hands and place in the skillet
- Cover with foil and cook for 10 mins
- Combine tomato soup, diced tomatoes, garlic, dried onion, salt and pepper, stir to make the sauce.
- Remove meatballs from oven, uncover, pour tomato sauce over, bake for 20 - 30 mins till sauce is bubbling right in the middle
- Use oven mits to remove meatballs from the oven, sprinkle parmesan cheese over and return to the oven for approx 10 mins or until cheese melts.
- Serve with garlic bread, parsley, Parmesan cheese and cracked pepper.
- Note 1 I use beef mince for the recipe and find the pairing with Italian herbs and parsley goes hand in hand together. You can also use lamb, pork or chicken mince.
- Note 2 Dried herbs are fine here and really help bring the taste of Italy to the meatballs.
- Note 3 Mince your own garlic or purchase store bought minced garlic, either will do the trick!
- Note 4 Dried onion saves time and tears. Find it in the herbs and spice section of the store.
- Note 5 Fresh parsley is best here if you have/grow it. It adds a lovely fragrant easy addition and is great for a pop of colour on top of the dish.
- Note 6 You can also use crushed tomatoes if you like. Or whole peeled and use kitche scissors to chop them up as you go.
This is so comforting! Quickly became a favorite meal at my house!
These meatballs look super juicy and perfect! I am absolutely loving the idea of combining them with tomato sauce. Simply love it.
These look SO mouth watering god. I really liked your technique for locking-in the flavor - I used to just throw mine raw inside the sauce... This is how I'm gonna do meatballs from now on!