Bacon Crackers are a quick and easy sweet and savory recipe! With cheddar crackers, streaky bacon and cinnamon sugar they come together effortlessly and work as the perfect appetizer, snack or party food. Candied bacon crackers smell like Christmas as they oven bake with their delicious aroma wafting through the house.
🤍 Recipe Highlights
I have summarised everything that you will come to know and love (LOVE ❤) about the recipe in the points below:
- Simple ingredients: I got each of these ingredients from my local grocery store and you will be able to as well. No specialist store trips needed.
- Festive season: these crackers make the perfect holiday party appetizer. They offer a quick recipe that works on their own or with dips or baked cheese.
- Quick and easy: whilst the crackers looks impressive, they are actually one of those super easy recipes to bring it together!
- Versatile: perfect for a Thanksgiving dinner, the office Christmas party, drinks with your neighbours and holiday gatherings, these crackers will tick the easy appetizer box.
- Sweet and savory: the cinnamon sugar offers the sweet, the bacon and cracker the savory. Combined they begin to kick a lot of the boxes.
The photo below is to show you everything you need to make the bacon crackers recipe. Please refer to the printable recipe card for specific ingredient measurements as well as detailed instructions.
As you can see the recipe calls for:
- Cinnamon sugar: you will find this in the herbs and spices section of the supermarket. It is a sweet powdered sugar and you guessed it combines both ground cinnamon and sugar.
- Bacon: we want to use thin cut bacon for the recipe. This allows the bacon to cook and crisp up in the oven during the allocated cook time.
- Crackers: I used 'cheds' when I make this recipe. They are a baked store bought cracker with pecorino romano crumbs on top.
Top Tip: I like to provide you with a number of substitutions and variations giving you an array of options when making my recipes. If in doubt of any of the above ingredients, or wanting alternatives, read this section (further below) before jumping into the instructions on how to make the recipe which are coming next 😉👌.
Here are the step by step instructions to make the recipe. We start by preparing the crackers.
- Prepare the crackers (Photo 1)
- Slice the bacon (Photo 2)
- Place the bacon onto the crackers (Photo 3)
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the bacon (Photo 4)
👩🍳 How to Make Bacon Crackers
Start the recipe by using a chopping board to prepare the crackers. To do so use a knife to cut along the perforated line and break the cracker into 2 separate portions.
Then use one of the cut crackers as a ruler against the bacon to slice it into thin portions.
Next place the crackers onto an ovenproof wire rack in one flat layer.
Once done top each cracker with one of the pieces of sliced bacon. You can see how this is done in the photos above.
Next sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the top of the bacon for each cracker.
- Now bacon loaded crackers are ready to be cooked (Photo 5)
Once the cinnamon is coated on the top of each cracker you are ready to bake them.
Ensure the oven is preheated and then place the wire rack into the oven on the middle shelf.
Let the crackers bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Bake the crackers for 12-15 minutes (Photo 6)
Once the crackers are cooked and the bacon looks crispy, use oven mitts to remove the baking tray and place it onto a heatproof surface.
Next transfer the crackers to a serving plate.
🍽 Serving Suggestions
To serve the crackers, you have a wide range of options available to you.
Or you can simply cut some cheese and offer a cheese and bacon cracker combo.
They really do offer the best of both world with sweet, savory and a whole lot of potential on the plate.
👍 How to Guide
How to Store
Store leftover crackers in an airtight container in the fridge. They can be kept for 2 days.
How to Freeze
Unfortunately this recipe is not suitable to freeze.
How to Reheat
These candied bacon crackers are best cooked and consumed that day or the next. They are best not reheated.
😉 Substitutions and Variations
Here are my sub ins and outs that you might be thinking about as you read the post and I will tell you if I think they will work or why they won't:
- You can use a different type of cracker to the style that I am using if you wish too.
- Add a piece of thinly sliced jalapeno to the centre of each of the bacon crackers.
- If place of the cinnamon sugar, you can use standard brown sugar if you wish to.
- To make the crackers spicy sprinkle some cayenne pepper and or black pepper over the top of them before baking them.
- As the bacon itself is quite high in salt, I do not recommend adding extra salt to the recipe as they would become 'too salty.
💡 Tasty Tips
Here are my top tips and tricks that I want to share with you so that you master the recipe from the get go:
- It is best to cook these on an oven proof wire rack above a baking tray. This allows to crackers to get super crispy.
- You can use a cracker to measure the lengths of bacon needed before you slice it.
- Preheat the oven and put the crackers in when it is ready to go. This will allow you to follow the cook time accurately.
- If you are reading this post wondering if you could make these in the air fryer, I wanted to discuss. Bacon and cheese tends to 'fly off' in the air fryer due to the way the air circulates in the appliance. For this reason and to not be left with 'cooked bacon bits' and 'crackers' you are best off 'wrapping the bacon around the cracker' if you wish to try it in the air fryer. Ie wrap it in a way that it overlaps, so is weighed down and cannot 'fly off 😉👍'.
🤓 Frequently Asked Questions
What is candied bacon made of?
Candied bacon involves spread a sweet ingredient such as brown sugar over the top of the raw bacon before oven baking it.
Are crackers and biscuits different?
Yes. Crackers and biscuits are 2 different types of similar products. Crackers are used for dipping or on a grazing platter or cheese board. They can be thin or thin and are most often savory with seasoning such as cheese, salt and vinegar or bbq seasoning. Biscuits on the other hand are sweet and known as 'cookies' in the USA. Biscuits can be plain, covered with sprinkles and or chocolate and more. You wouldn't out a biscuit on cheese platter yet it is the perfect place for crackers.
What can I put on crackers?
You can put almost anything on crackers! Try goat cheese, brie cheese, olive dip, chive cream cheese or bell pepper dip.
😍 More Easy Appetizer Recipes
Let the appetizer or dip be the main event at the party. This is easy to do when you have some recipes up your sleeve to whip out as needed. Here are some ideas I hope you will enjoy:
- Spinach Cob Loaf Dip
- Mini Hot Dogs
- Cranberry Jalapeno Dip
- Honey Pecan Cream Cheese
- Roast Capsicum Dip
- Cranberry Brie
- Honey Walnut Cream Cheese
- Corn Dip with Cream Cheese
- 36 small crackers
- 200 grams/ 7 oz streaky bacon rindless
- 3 teaspoon cinnamon sugar
- chives finely chopped
- Preheat your oven: to 180°C / 350-375°F / Gas Mark 4-5.
- Crackers: prepare the crackers by using a knife the cut the perforated edge and separate them into 2.
- Bacon: use one cracker to measure the length of bacon needed and then cut the long strips accordingly.
- Combine: place the crackers onto a heat proof wire rack in one flat layer. Then place a piece of the sliced bacon onto the top of each cracker.
- Cinnamon sugar: sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the top of each piece of bacon.
- Oven bake: set the wire rack above a baking tray and place them into the oven on the middle shelf. Bake the crackers for 10 to 12 minutes.
- To serve: use oven mitts to remove the baking tray from the oven and set it onto a heat proof surface. Then transfer the bacon crackers to a serving plate with dipping sauce. Sprinkle chopped chives over the top of them to garnish.
- Note 1 - Crackers: I used 'cheds' when I make this recipe. They are a baked store bought cracker with pecorino romano crumbs on top.
- Note 2 - Bacon: we want to use thin cut bacon for the recipe. This allows the bacon to cook and crisp up in the oven during the allocated cook time.
- Note 3 - Cinnamon sugar: you will find this in the herbs and spices section of the supermarket. It is a sweet powdered sugar and you guessed it combines both ground cinnamon and sugar.