Quick Potato Bake is a must have in every home cook's repertoire! This scalloped potato bake is creamy, cheesy and such an easy recipe to make!
Mexican Lime Chicken Thighs, Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken and our Chicken Wings are all tasty dinner recipes you pair with a side dish like our skin on roast potatoes or creamy garlic potatoes..
Scalloped potatoes are those which have a creamy sauce that the potatoes cook in!
The creamy cheese sauce is a great alternative to olive oil roast potatoes. Plus it makes for soft, melt in your mouth potatoes!
For other potato side ideas, try the Muffin Tin Potatoes, Air Fryer Potato Cubes or my Duck Fat Roast Potatoes.
What does scalloped potatoes mean
It is easy to get confused between au gratin potatoes, scalloped potatoes, potato bake or cheesy creamy potatoes!!
Don't worry too much about it, in fact don't loose a wink of sleep.
The way to think about it, is that scalloped potatoes are cooked in cream, whereas gratin potatoes are cooked with a cheesy topping which melts to a light golden brown.
Most potato bake recipes are made with scalloped potatoes. The thickness of which can vary.
For this recipe we are using very thinly cut potatoes as they cook very quickly in our creamy cheesy sauce!
Easy Cheesy Potato Bake recipe
The best way to prepare our potatoes is to use a mandolin which is a hand held utensil with a sharp blade that does a swift job of slicing the potatoes.
Potatoes are the perfect side dish you can serve them with just about ANYTHING!!
If you remember from our Skin on Roast Potatoes potatoes that don't take long to cook are a great accompaniment to any meal!
For this recipe, we want a quick cook time. So we slice the potatoes thinly to achieve that and and they will then cook quickly!
The ingredients for this recipe are shown in the photo below, they are easy to find and are simple to cook with:
As you can see we need:
- washed potatoes
- dried onion
- salt and pepper
If you want to add more ingredients to the dish, you can try bacon and garlic as we all know they go together like Batman and Robin.
What food goes well with potato bake
The best thing about potato bake is that it works with everything!!
It is perfect to serve with meats, at a BBQ, with a salad and some chicken or take to a picnic!
Try pairing with:
- chicken wings
The creamy cheesy potatoes can be served hot or cold if you are looking for a pot luck dish or leftovers!!
All we need to do is prep and season the potatoes, pop them into a skillet or baking dish and let them oven bake.
Here are the step by step instructions to make the recipe. We start by preparing the potatoes. You will need a chopped board and grater, followed by a vegetable slicer.
- use a potato peeler to peel your potatoes (Photo 1)
- then use a mandolin to thinly slice your potatoes (Photo 2)
- place the sliced potatoes into a bowl and season them (Photo 3)
- start by adding the dried onion (Photo 4)
- add dried thyme (Photo 5)
- followed by salt and pepper (Photo 6)
- use a spoon to combine all of the seasonings (Photo 7)
- then pour in the cream (Photo 8)
The herbs and dried onion bring flavour to the dish and don't involve any cutting or crying!
- use a spoon and gently stir in the cream (shown in photo 9)
- pour ½ of the cheese into the potatoes (shown in photo 10)
- stir again to combine (shown in photos 11 and 12)
Use a little spray oil to ensure the potato bake doesn't stick to your baking dish or skillet.
- transfer the potatoes to an oiled skillet (photo 13)
- spread the potatoes flat (photo 14)
- cover them with foil and bake for 15 - 30 mins (photos 15 and 16)
Scalloped Potato Bake
Once the potatoes have cooked and softened a little, it is time to layer with cheese for the final cooking time.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top (Photos 17 and 18)
- Return to the oven and bake, allowing cheese to melt (Photo 19)
- Finely chop parsley to use as garnish (Photo 20)
Once you have used oven mits and removed your potato bake from the oven, let it cool slightly (it will set during this time) and then sprinkle your parsley over the top!
The cooked potato bake will keep in the fridge for a few days after cooking. You can reheat it and serve as easy leftovers with your dinner!
What to serve with Potato Bake
This dish can be served as a side for many recipes. Here are some easy options:
- Honey Soy Chicken Wings
- Honey Mustard Chicken Wings (this is a slow cooker recipe)
- Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken (whole chicken recipe)
- Honey Soy Pork Ribs
- Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
This is a very versatile recipe that works with so many dishes!!
These additional tips are so that you can master these potatoes from the 1st time you make them:
- use either a skillet or small baking dish so the potatoes are not spread too thinly
- thoroughly mix the herbs, dried onion and cream into the potatoes so they are all covered
- cover the skillet or baking tray for the 1st 30 mins of cooking to soften the potatoes
- uncover the skillet or baking tray for the final 10 mins to let the cheese melt
- allow to cool for 5 min when removed from the oven, then top with freshly chopped parsley
- reheat for easy left overs
Frequently asked questions
Can I make this recipe the day ahead?
Absolutely! You can make this recipe either the day before or a couple of hours before serving.
You can also make it, leave it covered in the fridge, then cook it when ready.
It will reheat very well and can keep for 2-3 days for leftovers.
You will need to reheat the potato bake as it hardens in the refrigerator.
Serve your potato bake for a family dinner, at Christmas, when you have friends coming or take it as your plate to a party!
This recipe is a great alternative to roast potatoes or mashed potatoes as the texture and flavours are different!
Similar to my Horseradish Mashed Potatoes this potato bake will compliment a lot of dishes, so serve it with your favourites!
Now go get your bake on and start slicing your potatoes, haha but its SO good!!!
PIN and save this recipe for later!
Hunger still got you? You can SUBSCRIBE to receive the latest recipes, follow me on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook.
Quick Potato Bake
- Vegetable peeler
- Wooden spoon
Quick Potato Bake
- 1 kg small washed potatoes
- ½ tbs dried onion Note 1
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 300 ml cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese Note 2
- parsley to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 180°C / 350-375°F / Gas Mark 4-5
- Spray a 26cm round or approx same size baking dish with cooking oil and set aside
- Use a vegetable peeler to peel each of the potatoes
- Use a mandolin to thinly slice the potatoes
- Transfer the sliced potatoes to a mixing bowl. Add the dried onion, thyme, salt and pepper. use a spoon to stir to combine.
- Pour ½ of the cheese into the potatoes and stir again to combine
- Pour the cream into the seasoned potatoes and use the spoon to (gently) stir the cream through the potatoes till combined
- Transfer the creamy potato mix into the baking dish and cover with foil
- Place the skillet or baking dish onto the middle rack of the oven and bake (covered) for 30 mins.
- Use oven mits to remove the skillet from the oven, discard the foil, then sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Return the potatoes to the oven for another 10 mins, till the cheese is melted and a light golden brown
- Garnish with chopped parsley
- Note 1 Dried onion is one of my all time favourite ingredients to cook with. It makes things SO easy. There is no peeling of onion skin and no crying over it either! You will find it in the herbs and spices section of the supermarket. I usually use 1 whole tablespoon, but have created the recipe with a little less as I know some people find dried herbs and spices quite strong.
- Note 2 You can use your favourite store bought grated cheese. I use a light tasty. But cheddar, tasty and mozzarella are also good varieties.
Amanda Wren-Grimwood says
I love a potato bake and this one is so creamy and cheesy - perfect!
Thanks for your feedback Amanda! Cheers
This is right up my street. So creamy and delicious. Perfect side dish for the family tonight!
Cheers Safira!! I love reading your positive feedback, thanks, appreciate it! Enjoy the recipe.
Such a great side dish option! This recipe was easy to follow and so tasty! I'll definitely be making again.