Broccoli Rice Salad is healthy and packed with veggies! You are going to love this salad and it is versatile for so many reasons.
Broccoli Rice salad sounds like something that is worth a try doesn't it! But Broccoli Rice Salad with Basil Pesto drizzle sounds not only worth a try, but a salad you need to get making stat!!
This unique and original salad is a recipe which I know you guys will love! These days we are all looking for ways to eat less carbs and more veggies but still have the dish taste great, so I worked hard to come up with this new recipe.
Broccolli Rice quick info
- I wanted to make another warm salad, similar but different to my recent Bacon and Egg Quinoa Salad
- I wanted to use Broccoli rice
- It needed to be a salad to look forward to when I am at work and it is in the fridge for lunch
- It had to be a winning combination that I would make over and over again
The salad might look complicated but rest assured it is not. You will be able to whip it up in no time. Broccoli Rice Salad says to me 'yum town', there is a depth of flavour and you are also getting a huge dose of veggies in the one go.
If you have a look at the pic below you can see how you make and bake the broccoli rice. It is as easy as using a food processor to finely dice the broccoli, seasoning it will some chilli flakes, salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil and baking it for 15 minutes in the oven.
How to make Broccoli Rice Salad
Whilst you are baking the rice, you can also put the bacon in the oven and the eggs in a pot of water on the stove top.
The recipe works well as after you have done the necessary preps steps for all of the ingredients, you can simply combine them, dress and toss the salad - it is easy but enjoyable at the same time.
Your Basil Drizzle is the ingredient that will tie all of the salad together and with just 3 ingredients, this is not an overly complicated dressing where you need to measure everything too pedantically.
If you are making this salad for a BBQ or going to take it to a friends house, you have the option of dressing and tossing before you go (but take some of the leftover drizzle so that people can add a bit more to taste if so desired).
How to serve Broccoli Rice Salad
As the thinking behind the salad was that it was going to be a warm one, you can easily heat the whole dish in the microwave, or you can portion it out for work lunches, heat and then add a little more drizzle just before you are going to eat it.
You will find that the chilli flakes give a tiny hit of spice to the dish, so there is no bland taste and you will enjoy your veggie intake, as considerable thought and attention has gone into making the most of the ingredients.
If, however, you or the people you are cooking for are not fans of chilli, leave out the chilli flakes, but add a little garlic salt for a similar flavour 'zing'.
Good luck and enjoy the cooking process, it won't take you long to make this and take it to every event you have on your social calendar for the rest of the year!
You guys know I can't just give you the one recipe...I need to give you ideas, left, right and centre, so here are a few of my favs on the blog:
- Bacon and Egg Quinoa Salad (also has quinoa and bacon and is a great work lunch option)
- Mushroom and Spinach Risotto
- Vegan Yellow Curry Noodle Bowl (lots of flavour and veggies)
Thanks and nice to see you again around my way!
Broccoli Rice Salad
Broccolli Rice Salad
- 2 heads broccoli
- 500 grams streaky bacon
- 4 eggs free range
- 1 bunch shallots green onions in USA
- 1 425g 5 beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes
Basil Pesto Drizzle
- 1 cup greek yoghurt
- ⅓ cup basil pesto
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees
- Line 2 baking trays with grease proof paper. Use a wire rack over one of them to cook the bacon.
- Chop the heads of broccoli into smaller portions, then place the pieces into a food processor, a few at a time and finely dice them. Spread broccoli rice over a baking tray, season with chilli flakes, salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil, bake for 15 minutes
- Add eggs to a medium sized saucepan filled with water, bring to the boil and cook for 6 minutes. Turn off the heat and tip hot water out, add cold water and set aside for 2 mins. Then peel and slice eggs.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces
- Drain and rinse beans
- Chop shallots
- Add broccolli rice, sliced egg, chopped bacon, beans and shallots to your salad bowl.
Basil Pesto Drizzle
- Add yogurt, lemon juice and basil pesto to a blender jug and blitz to combine
Dress and Toss Salad
- Pour ½ Basil Pesto Drizzle over salad and use 2 soup spoons to toss salad
- Store bought Basil Pesto from the fridge section of your grocery is fine
- Store bought lemon juice from a squeezy bottle is also fine
- I like chilli but if you don't, use a spice such as garlic salt instead
- VEGETARIAN option: use fake bacon instead of real
- Keep remaining ½ drizzle to use for pouring if you heat and individually serve portions