Banoffee Tart is a delicious dessert recipe you can whip up in no time. Puff pastry, rich decadent caramel, you will think you are in heaven with this Banoffee Tart!
Caramel or Dulce for your tart? Dulce de Leche can be made in your slow cooker for this tart or you can use caramel top and fill like I have done. For a no fuss dessert, check the No Bake Chocolate Cake.
Popular treats like our Triple Caramel Chocolate Brownies, Lion Cake and Cookie Monster Cupcakes are worth taking a look at. For festive desserts your go to recipes are our Chocolate Ripple Wreath, Christmas Wreath Pavlova and 8 Egg Pavlova.
Using Puff Pastry to make a Banoffee Tart
I need to warn you guys that this recipe is not diet food! It is a special treat and you are going to LOVE IT!!
Caramel and melted chocolate, need I say more!
This tart came about as I have been working with puff pastry a lot lately, making tarts with beautiful Aussie fruits. I brainstormed what other combinations of ingredients I could combine and this is the recipe that sprang to mind.
If you remember recently I shared with you my Blueberry Lemon Curd Tart recipe and if you don't, you can find that recipe right here. That is a tart for a hot summer day. This Banoffee Tart, is a richer, more decadent dessert, perfect for dinner parties.
How to Make a Banoffee Tart?
I LOVE bananas! They are so versatile and you can either eat them fresh, cooked or throw them in other dishes. The combination for this tart channels a traditional Banoffee Pie, but is also like a galette as it is flat and does not have the depth to it that a pie pastry does.
The reality is you could call this tart, any one of the above, be it a pie, a caramel tart, chocolate tart, or just plain HEAVEN in a dessert!! The cream, the caramel and the chocolate are an amazing combination of flavours!
This is not a traditional Banoffee Pie recipe, it is a modern take on a classic!
Is it hard to Make a Banoffee Tart?
The steps involved in making this tart as so easy. You literally brush the sheet with egg, score it to make a crust and then pierce it with a fork. You will need 2 bananas and so that any left over tart stays fresh, I would use the nicest bananas you can find.
What ingredients to use for Puff Pastry Tarts
I bought ready made puff pastry for this tart. I often have it on hand in the freezer. It has a lot of uses, both for sweet and savoury dishes. If you haven't cooked with it before, I encourage you to try it!
Everyone loves a sausage roll or meat pie, but a dessert made with puff pastry is pure mouthfuls of delight. The egg wash makes the pastry turn a light golden colour and gives it a lovely crunch when you bite into it.
Some other puff pastry tarts on the blog are:
- Blueberry Lemon Curd Tart (recipe is here)
- Peach Tartlets (recipe is here)
- Strawberry Tartlets (recipe is here)
The caramel takes about 3 minutes to whip into a smooth dreamy consistency, you will be tempted to gobble it all up!
Banoffee Tart Questions answered
About the recipe:
- The pastry is best to cool for a minute after being cooked before the caramel is spread
- This is the most decadent dinner party dessert!
- For the caramel you use 'top and fill' from the supermarket, it is SO easy.
- The combination of caramel, cream and chocolate is heaven sent!
To answer your questions:
- The tart can be made ahead of time (a few hours) and refrigerated
- It is not suitable for freezing
- The recipe uses egg to brush the pastry
- This is a SUPER EASY dessert to pull together
It is really important to make sure the whole sheet of pastry is cooked through. By removing the baking tray and letting the pastry cook for a while on just the baking paper, you are sure to get thoroughly cooked crispy pastry!
Kitchen Therapy using caramel and chocolate
OMG you guys!! This recipe is SO fun!! You get to play with caramel, cream and chocolate! The caramel comes out of the tin a little solid, but blending it makes it smooth and delicious! The cream forms beautiful soft peaks that help give the melted chocolate a layer of structure to sit on.
This tart is all about the layers. A pastry layer. A caramel layer. A banana layer. A cream layer and a chocolate layer. It makes you feel guilty just reading about all of that delight doesn't it!!
If stress is on your mind, grab your beaters and a can of top and fill. You will feel like a new woman or man faster than you can say ' I need me time!!'.
Plus you don't need a pie dish for this recipe. A flat baking tray is perfect!
Have you ever stared deep into a bowl of melted chocolate, it is just dreamy!
If you make this recipe and want to upload a photo (I would love to see) you can do that via the pin on my recipes board >> Sweet Caramel Sunday Recipes board >> Pinterest
Banoffee Tart Recipe
Banoffee Tart Recipe
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 190 grams caramel top and fill ½ a can
- ½ cup fresh cream
- 2 medium bananas
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ cup milk chocolate melts
Banoffee Tart Method
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees F 82.2 degrees C. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper
- Take your pastry out of the freezer, leave for a few minutes, separate the sheets and lay one sheet flat on the baking paper
- Crack an egg into a small bowl and use a fork to whisk. Use a pastry brush to coat the pastry sheet
- Run a knife around the edge of the pastry 1-2cm to score it, making the crust
- Use a fork to prick the pastry all over the inside (not the crust) of the pastry
- Bake for 10 mins before sliding the pastry onto the oven rack and placing the baking tray on a lower wrack of the oven. Bake for another 5 minutes or until the pastry is a light golden brown.
- Use electric beaters to whip caramel until smooth (approx 2-3 mins)
- Add cream, icing sugar and vanilla essence to a mixing bowl and beat till soft peaks form in the cream (2-3 mins)
- Slice bananas into round pieces
- Remove pastry from oven and allow to cool
- Spread caramel on the pastry centre (avoiding crust) to form a caramel later
- Top caramel layer with banana pieces
- Add cream to a piping bag and pipe onto banana layer
- Melt chocolate in a microwave safe container and use a form to drizzle over cream layer
- The egg only needs to be whisked for a minute, just so the yolk is pierced and mixed in with the egg white
- The order that you cut the crust, brush with egg and prick the pastry, doesn't matter so much. Sometimes I start brushing and then realise I haven't pricked with a fork, but it is fine, to do this with the egg wash already on the pastry (see video)
- My technique of removing the oven tray is to allow the centre base of the pastry to fully cook without the top edges of the pastry to burn. This will ensure well cooked through pastry with no icky raw centre!
- You can melt your chocolate in the microwave OR on the stovetop, do whichever method you enjoy the most!
- I use a zip lock back and cut a whole on one corner to pipe my cream so that I don't have to clean a piping bag. Once you have piped your cream, simply through the bag away.
Ok, ,so where I am at with Vegas is 1) Cirq Du Soleil 2) Grand Canyon in a Helicopter 3) Zip line. Is there anything else that I need to see there? I can imagine, there are so many amazing places!
3, 2, 1, here I come America!
I will be spending time in my kitchen and here on the blog on the weekend. As always if you have any questions about the recipes, please don't hesitate to get in touch.
For new readers, thank-you for coming and please check out 3 of my favourites recipes on Sweet Caramel Sunday: