Caprese Bites make the BEST EVER festive finger food for entertaining! A tomato basil mozzarella appetizer that can be plated with savory dips and toothpicks to skewer with prosciutto.
Large white platter
Caprese Bites ingredients
- 750 grams tomatoes Note 1
- 200 grams bocconcini Note 2
- 150 grams basil peso Note 3
- ⅓ cup pine nuts optional
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar Note 4, to serve
- crackers to serve
- savory dip Note 5
- basil leaves to serve
- cucumber to serve
Caprese Bites Instructions
Slice tomatoes in half and use a teaspoon to scoop out and discard seeds
Toast pine nuts for 2-3 mins in a non stick pan or in the microwave (optional) let cool, then transfer to a zip lock bag and use the back of a spoon to crush
Use a teaspoon to scoop crushed nuts into the base of each tomato
Then scoop a little basil pesto on top of the nuts
Push a mozzarella ball into each tomato
Serve as is with crush pine nuts and balsamic vinegar or on a large platter with savory dips, antipasto bites like prosciutto, additional cheese, cucumber, basil leaves and crackers
- Note 1 I use 'Cocktail Truss Tomatoes', as they are a bit bigger than a regular cherry tomato so they are easy to stuff. I don't recommend grape tomatoes or roma tomatoes for this recipe as their shape makes them harder to stuff.
- Note 2 this will be in the fridge section in the cheese area in a small tube with liquid (brine). You can discard the brine as we only need the cheese (no need to rinse as we don't want to loose any flavour)
- Note 3 I use store bought basil pesto dip for my recipe, it is from the fridge section and makes for an easy recipe when you are not making the pesto from scratch!
- Note 4 I recommend the straight balsamic vinegar for this recipe, not the glaze, as it is easy to drizzle with a teaspoon and is the best flavour combination with the basil, tomato and mozzarella