Zucchini Slice is an easy and healthy recipe for breakfast, lunch or dinner! Similar with different techniques to our Gluten Free Zucchini Slice and Zucchini Slice Muffins all are popular Zucchini Recipes.
Time in the kitchen whipping up a storm like our Anzac Biscuits, Triple Caramel Chocolate Brownies, Lion Cake and Cookie Monster Cupcakes is time well spent. Savoury baking hoewever, is a whole new delightful world!
To make the best zucchini slice ever, serve with a mustard yoghurt drizzle and watch the slice fly off the plate!
What is the difference between this and other Zucchini Slice recipes?
Savory slices are the best as they can be made into a low carb slice with many options. On the blog we have our Gluten Free Zucchini Slice which is quite similar to a flourless zucchini quiche, the main difference being that vegetable slices generally don’t have a crust whereas a quiche does.
We also have our Zucchini Slice Muffins which we make in our regular muffin pan. An easy vegetable slice recipe which is vegetarian!
Not to be outdone by the above is our Zucchini and Bacon Slice for which we use an altogether different technique and slice our zucchini as opposed to shredding it.
How long does Zucchini Slice last?
Zucchini Slice will last in the fridge for up to 5 days. During this time you can eat the slice hot or cold.
You can also freeze this slice. The best way to do that is portion it out and wrap those individual portion pieces in cling wrap, then place in the freezer.
Can you reheat Zucchini Slice?
This slice is perfect to serve hot or cold. If you want to reheat it, simply place it on a plate, cover with cling wrap and heat for 2 minutes in the microwave. Test it and continue to heat for a couple of minutes if it is not heated all the way through.
You can also reheat your Zucchini Slice in the oven, making it a perfect choice for either work lunches, lunch boxes or a quick and easy dinner recipe!
How do you cut Zucchini Slices? (for making slice)
To prepare your zucchini to use in this recipe, we start but cutting the top and tail end off. Then we use our food processor with our ‘shred’ blade to cut the zucchini into fine slices.
Next the zucchini then has any extra water squeezed out so that the slice is not watery. I recommend using smaller zucchinis as they have less water than medium or large ones. This makes them perfect for a recipe like this.
Ingredients for Zucchini Slice
The ingredients we need for making this recipe are shown in the photo below and labelled, so you can see exactly what you need!
As you can see to make this recipe, we need:
- grated cheese
- plain flour
- garlic powder
- dried onion
How to make the best ever Zucchini Slice?
Here are the step by step photos and instructions to make this recipe. We can break down our method into 18 easy steps.
- crack eggs into a jug and whisk to combine (shown in photo 1)
- add cream and whisk to combine (shown in photos 2-3)
- add salt, garlic powder, dried onion and flour to egg mix (shown in photos 4-7)
- whisk to combine and then set egg mix aside(shown in photo 8)
- use your food processor to shred your zucchini (shown in photo 9)
- add zucchini to a medium mixing bowl (shown in photo 10)
- squeeze any excess water out of zucchini with paper towel (shown in photo 11)
- pour egg mix over the zucchini bacon mix (shown in photo 14)
- stir egg mix into zucchini bacon mix (shown in photo 15)
- transfer zucchini bacon mix into prepared (spray oil) baking dish (shown in photo 16)
- use a spoon to flatten the mix into the baking dish (shown in photo 17)
- oven bake the zucchini slice for 50-60 mins (shown in photo 18)
There are 4 steps from the above, that we need to focus on to ensure the best ever zucchini slice. These are shown in the photo below with a detailed explanation underneath.
- use a food processor to shred the zucchini (or a handheld grater) (photo 1)
- squeezing excess water out is important for both taste and texture (photo 2)
- stir together the zucchini bacon mix to help with consistency (photo 3)
- pour in egg mix and stir for perfect slice texture (photo 4)
This is the perfect vegetable slice to reheat for work lunches!
Zucchini Slice recipe quick info:
About the recipe:
- we need 500 grams (approx 4) zucchini
- select smaller zucchinis rather than large as they have less water (narrow and short)
- use diced bacon to save time cutting bacon rashers
- cream, not oil is the liquid used for this recipe for a delightful texture
- this recipe uses flour
FAQs about Zucchini Slice
- add corn or carrot for extra veggies!
- you can reheat this slice
- the baking dish seen in the photos is: (28 x 17.5 x 5 cm)
- this is a freezer friendly recipe
- This is an EASY recipe
Zucchini Slice Pro tips:
These additional tips are so that you can master this recipe from the 1st time you make it:
- use the coarse not fine blade on the shredder
- you can use a slice tray, but the slice won’t be as high/deep as from a baking dish
- this slice will take longer to cook than you think (as it is deep)
- the size of your baking tray will make a difference. Larger will result in a less thick slice.
- wait for the slice to cool before cutting (so much easier)
Healthy, gourmet, zucchini and bacon, however you want to say it, this slice tastes and smells SO amazing!
Zucchini recipes to try:
- Baking dish (28 x 17.5 x 5 cm)
- Food processor
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Glass measuring jug
- 500 grams zucchini Note 1, 2
- 600 grams bacon, diced Note 3
- 3/4 cup grated cheese
- 1 cup cream Note 4
- 8 eggs free range
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder Note 5
- 1 tbs dried onion Note 5
- salt to taste
Mustard Yoghurt Drizzle
- 1/2 cup greek yoghurt
- 2 tbsp Hot English mustard Note 7
- Preheat oven to 200°c/400°F, gas 6
- Crack eggs into a jug and whisk to combine.
- Add cream salt, garlic powder, dried onion and flour to eggs, then whisk to combine
- Use a knife to cut the top and tail ends of the zucchinis then use your food processor to shred your zucchini
- Add zucchini to a medium mixing bowl and use a paper towel to squeeze any extra water out.
- Pour egg mix over the zucchini bacon mix , then stir to combine.
- Transfer zucchini bacon mix into prepared (spray oil) baking dish and use a spoon to flatten the top so the batter is evenly spread out.
- Oven bake the zucchini slice for 50-60 mins. Note 6
Mustard Yoghurt Drizzle
- Add yoghurt and mustard to a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Note 1 you can use a food processor to slice your zucchini, an alternative is a vegetable grater which will produce much the same effect
- Note 2 choose the smallest size of zucchini you can get as these will have the least water.
- Note 3 go for the pre diced bacon to make it a simple matter of adding it into the mixing bowl.
- Note 4 Some recipes use oil for a zucchini slice. That combination is not nearly as good and tasty and the smooth consistency of the cream and egg. Whisking them together creates a delightful silkiness that is far beyond what oil could achieve.
- Note 5 An Australian Tablespoon measures 20ml so 1/2 is 10ml ie 10 ml/grams of garlic powder and 20ml/20grams dried onion.
- Note 6 The slice needs to be cooked all the way through. This means the edges if the slice will lightly brown whist the top looks nice and yellow still. Once the edges are brown and there is no wobble when you use an oven mitt to grab and gently shake your baking tray, turn the oven off and leave it to sit in there whilst it cools down. You can also use a skewer inserted into the middle of the slice to test and see if it is dry ie no wet egg once pulled out. A third option I also use is to remove the slice tray from the oven (using an oven mitt) and lightly press with the tip of a finger in the centre of the dish. If it is cooked properly there will be a slight resistance, ie bounce back of the egg. If there is no resistance, it just needs a little bit more time.
- Note 7 You can use mild mustard eg Dijon if you prefer (it will be less bright in colour)
Zucchini for breakfast, lunch and dinner, yes please, I love it and know that you do too.
Please let me know what you think of the recipe and leave a comment below as I would love to hear it.
Meal prep your way into the working week, as you, my friend are onto it!
P.S Definitely try the mustard yoghurt as it is AMAZING!!
If zucchini recipes are your thing, then here are some more to float your boat: