Side dishes like our Skin on Roast Potatoes and Mashed Peas are so handy to master as you can throw them on the table with just about anything! Chicken recipes are a popular choice for dinner ideas and with a few sides to go with them, you will have delicious complete meals!
Zucchini and mushrooms work incredibly well together as they contrast in texture and taste!
Better yet, this recipe is quick and easy to prepare with simple, easy to find ingredients.
What veg does well with mushrooms?
Plenty of foods go well with mushrooms, whilst other vegetables are a good idea, mushrooms are also versatile enough to serve across a number of different plates. Here are some winning combinations:
- chicken recipes like in our our Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
- breakfast recipes with eggs, bacon and haloumi
- lunch recipes like our mini mushroom frittatas
- vegetables like spinach and peas
- garlic like our whole roasted garlic
Can you eat mushrooms raw?
Fresh, raw mushrooms are delicious and totally edible. They taste amazing on their own and their texture when raw is soft and delicious.
Sauteing, grilling and frying mushrooms are different ways to cook them to change up the way in which we can eat this delicious vegetable.
Ingredients for Zucchini and Mushrooms
In the photo below you will see all of the ingredients you need to create this dish. The sauteed vegetables sauce has great depth of flavour and is made from simply combining the ingredients and stirring them together.
As you can see we have basic ingredients, you likely even have some of them at home ready to go!
How to cook Zucchini and Mushrooms
We cook our Zucchini and Mushrooms in a pan on the stove. It is also possible to grill them or stir-try them.
The photos below show you this process step by step:
- add balsamic, honey, onion, garlic, salt and pepper, stir to combine (shown in photos 1-6)
- prepare your vegetables (shown in photos 7-8)
- pour 1/2 the sauce over your zucchini (shown in photo 9)
- saute for 2-3 mins to start the cooking process (shown in photo 10)
- add sliced mushrooms and remaining sauce (shown in photos 11-12)
- toast flaked almonds (shown in photo 13)
- drain veggies, keep liquid (shown in photo 14)
- grate raw zucchini and season it with salt (shown in photo 52)
There are a couple of steps from the above that I want to expand on as they are slightly more important than others, so I will do that in the photo below.
Balsamic Zucchini Mushrooms
- the dried onion is a herb found in the spices section of the store. Here we add it to the balsamic vinegar. Doing so, will re-hydrate the onion and the taste in the saute sauce is amazing! (photo 1)
- the flaked almonds get lightly toasted for taste and texture. They will toast very quickly, so keep an eye on them and stay near whilst cooking them. (photo 2)
- we drain our sauteed vegetables from the sauce once they are cooked. But we keep this liquid and use it for drizzle when serving. This ensures our zucchini and mushrooms don’t become too soggy when left to sit in the sauce. (photo 3)
- the remaining zucchini gets added to the dish raw, again for texture and as a contrast to the wet cooked zucchini, simply season this with a little salt! (photo 4)
How long does it take to saute vegetables?
The mushrooms cook faster than the zucchini does. For that reason, we add the zucchini and saute it 1st, before adding the mushrooms and sauteing both together.
This process is very short, ie we start with 2 mins for the zucchini and another 2 mins for the mushrooms, finishing when all of the vegetables are a similar colour, having been cooked in the saute vegetable sauce.
Chicken recipes to serve with a side of zucchini and mushrooms
- Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
- Slow cooker Honey Mustard Chicken Wings
- Chili Lime Chicken Wings (oven baked recipe)
- Honey Garlic Chicken Wings (using ginger beer)
- Honey Soy Chicken Wings (family favourite recipe
This recipe is perfect as a vegetable dish, it is very handy to make a batch on the weekend and then have delicious prepared veggies you only need to heat and serve with your dinner during the week. Sauteed zucchini is your new best friend!
Zucchini mushroom chicken, yes please!!
Sauteed Zucchini and Mushrooms quick info:
About the recipe:
- we need 1kg zucchini for this recipe
- 500 grams mushrooms
- the flaked almonds get lightly toasted for flavour, texture and visual effect
- simply combine the ingredients for the sauteed vegetable sauce and stir
- we saute our veggies in a pan on the stove
FAQs about Zucchini and Mushrooms
- a food processor is a fast handy way to slice our zucchini
- use a knife for the mushrooms, we are going for thick pieces
- the honey is optional (adds a touch of sweetness)
- the vegetables will last a few days in the fridge
- drain the veggies and set the liquid aside so they will stay fresher for longer
- This is an EASY recipe
Zucchini and Mushrooms Pro tips:
These additional tips are so that you can master this recipe from the 1st time you make it:
- the main reason why we use a pan and not a wok for this recipe (common for stir frying) is because we don’t want the veggies to sit in the sauce for too long as they will go soggy)
- ensuring we have some raw zucchini (seasoned with salt) on the plate provides contrast between the sauteed zucchini and mushrooms which will be wetter and soft.
- the cut core pieces of the raw zucchini have a little firmness and this is perfect as it adds another texture to the dish
- drain, but keep your sauteed liquids, this will add a touch of extra flavour and freshness when reheating the veggies
Side dishes to write home about
Zucchini and mushrooms as a side dish is perfect and popular. Here are some other options you can try when you want to switch it up a little:
- Horseradish Mashed Potatoes
- Skin on Roast Potatoes (with rosemary and thyme)
- Potato Salad
- Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Mashed Peas
- Shredded Brussel Sprouts Salad (everyone loves this one!)
Zucchini and Mushrooms
- Fry pan
Zucchini and Mushrooms
- 1 kg zucchini
- 500 grams mushrooms
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 tbs garlic, minced Note 1
- salt and pepper to taste, Note 2
Zucchini and Mushrooms
- Combine balsamic vinegar, honey, minced garlic, dried onion, salt and pepper in a jug and stir to combine
- Take 3/4 of your zucchini and slice using the food processor. Note 2
- Use a knife to cut your mushrooms into big chunks
- Pour 1/2 of your sauce over sliced zucchini, add a little oil to a fry pan and saute the zucchini for 2 mins at medium heat.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the zucchini and pour remaining saute sauce over them.
- Toast flaked almonds for 2-3 mins until a light golden brown
- Continue to cook for 2 mins and rotate the vegetables around as you go so they are fully coated in liquid.
- Turn the heat off, remove the pan from the stove and drain the vegetables (keep the liquid)
- Use a grater to make long strips of raw zucchini, working from the outside in. Once at the core, use a knife to cut this zucchini into thin slices. Season raw zucchini with a little salt.
- Plate the raw zucchini 1st, then the sauteed zucchini and mushrooms. Sprinkle toasted flaked almonds on top. Pour liquid into a small bowl and drizzle over vegetables for serving.
- Note 1 Minced garlic is better in this recipe that garlic powder. We want the chunky texture of the paste which delivers better in the minced form
- Note 2 We use the salt and pepper in the sauteed vegetable sauce as well as a pinch of salt to season the raw zucchini
- Note 3 You can use a knife if you don't have a food processor. Or a mandolin. We want thick-ish chunks.
If you love zucchini you are in the right spot. I love cooking with it and there are many recipes here for you to enjoy that are zucchini based.
Season it well and you can bake, grill, fry, saute and shred it till your heart is content. Some various techniques are seen in our Gluten Free Zucchini Slice and our Zucchini Frittata where shredding and slicing come into play.
Hope you love this quick and easy side dish recipe with the end goal of getting dinner on to your table and into your belly fast.
Sing out to me if you have questions and I would love to hear your feedback on the recipe in the comments below!
For Zucchini recipes that are delicious check these out for inspiration: