Blue Cheese Mac and Cheese
Blue Cheese Mac And Cheese is a quick and easy pasta recipe perfect any night of the week. Made on the stove top in less that 15 minutes.
- 2 tbs/40 grams butter Note 1
- 1 tablespoon garlic chunky minced or 2-3 fresh cloves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion flakes Note 2
- 2 teaspoon dried chives Note 3
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tbs white wine vinegar
- 250ml/ 1 cup heavy cream Note 4
- 150 grams/5oz blue cheese Note 5
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- 500 grams/16 oz cups macaroni pasta
- parmesan cheese
- black pepper
- basil leaves
Blue cheese sauce: place a large frying pan onto the stove top, turn the heat to high and add the butter. Once it has melted, add the garlic, onion, chives, salt, and pepper. Stir these to combine then add the white wine vinegar, followed by the cream. Next add the blue cheese and mozzarella, turn the heat down and stir to combine as the cheese melts.
Macaroni: read and follow the packet instructions to cook the macaroni in a medium sauce pan of boiling salted water. Test a bit to ensure it is al dente (still a little chewy) and when it is, use a colander over the sink to drain the pasta and discard the water.
Combine: add the cooked drained macaroni to the blue cheese sauce and use a wooden spoon to stir and combine. Turn the heat back up a little and allow the pasta and sauce to heat through.
To serve: garnish the dish generously with a sprinkle of freshly grated parmesan cheese, black pepper and basil leaves. Provide bowls, forks and spoons for serving.
- Note 1 - Butter: we do want to fully melt the butter as the initial step as then we use it to lightly fry the garlic, onion and chives combination.
- Note 2 - Dried onion: these dried onion flakes will be with the herbs and spices around the cooking aisle at the grocery store. They are dried onion flakes. You can use onion powder instead if you prefer and you can reduce this amount to ½ tbs or 1 teaspoon if not keen on any onion flavour. If using dried onion powder, I would not use more than 1 teaspoon (it tastes quite salty, more so that dried onion flakes).
- Note 3 - Dried chives: this are optional. You can omit them if you want a plain blue cheese mac and cheese without the addition of dried herbs.
- Note 4 - Heavy cream: this is pouring cream also known as cooking cream. It is different to dollop, whipped or cream cheese.
- Note 5 - Blue cheese: there will be a wide variety of types of prices for this. You can use your favorite type be it gorgonzola, Danish blue or Castello Blue.
Calories: 908kcal | Carbohydrates: 100g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 43g | Saturated Fat: 27g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 122mg | Sodium: 737mg | Potassium: 551mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3118IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 364mg | Iron: 2mg