Panzanella Salad is a quick and easy tomato, bread salad. Also known as Italian Bread Salad or Panmolle it is an effortless impressive salad.
- 4 cups mixed tomatoes Note 1
- 1 Vienna loaf Note 2
- 6 anchovies Note 3, drained, not rinsed
- ¼ cup capers drained, not rinsed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ bunch basil leaves pulled from stem
Preheat your oven to 180°C / 350-375°F / Gas Mark 4-5
Line a baking tray with baking paper, cut your loaf of bread in half lengthways, place cut side up on baking tray and spray with cooking oil
Place bread in oven till bread is toasted and golden (approximately 5-10 mins)
Meanwhile cut your tomatoes in halves and quarters, add to a medium size bowl and season with salt.
Pull basil leaves from stems add to tomatoes, followed by capers and anchovies
Once bread is toasted use a knife to roughly chop into strips and fingers to pull into chunky pieces
Line salad platter with bread
Top with tomato basil mix
When ready to serve drizzle olive oil over tomato basil salad, then drizzle bread pieces and salad with red wine vinegar,
- Note 1 I use a combination of shapes, sizes and textures for this salad. Try and go for both red and orange tomatoes or purchase a 'medley' pack for variety then add in some smaller cherry tomatoes.
- Note 2 This is approximately 50 grams of anchovies. So if you get a 100 gram bottle or tin, you can use ½ for this recipe and ½ for another!
- Note 3 You can use sourdough, rye bread, Vienna, Tiger bread, a baguette. The key is to use bread that is at least one day old so it is state and a little crusty!
Calories: 68kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 606mg | Potassium: 232mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 531IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1mg