Anchovy Spaghetti is a quick and easy pasta that combines anchovies and capers. This Italian pasta with anchovies is for those nights when you need dinner on the table STAT!
- 250 grams spaghetti Note 1
- 100 grams anchovies Note 2
- ⅓ cup capers Note 3
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes
- 1 cup reserved pasta water Note 4
- parsley to serve
- Parmesan cheese to serve
- cracked pepper to serve
Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and cook pasta according to packet instructions.
Drain pasta, reserving the pasta water.
Add anchovies (and oil) to a skillet and bring to a medium heat.
Add minced garlic and chilli flakes, stir to combine and cook for 2-3 mins
Add cooked pasta to the anchovy mix, reduce to a simmer and add the pasta water
Stir to combine and allow the pasta to return to a medium heat ( 2-3 mins).
Serve with capers, Parmesan, cracked pepper and freshly chopped parsley Note 5
- Note 1 I love using spaghetti as I love getting my twirl on! You can however, use your favourite pasta for this recipe ie substitute it for the spaghetti and keep everything else in the recipe the same!
- Note 2 When you purchase the anchovies they will be in oil. We use that oil for this recipe as well instead of straight bottled olive oil. I like to get the anchovies in chilli oil as I find it add a great depth of flavour. You can used your preferred anchovies.
- Note 3 These will come in a salty brine liquid, but we drain and discard that for this recipe.
- Note 4 Once the pasta is cooked, we drain it and keep that pasta water. We then add 1 cup of it to the pan when we are combining our cooked pasta with the cooked anchovy mix.
- Note 5 I don't cook the capers as I find they are PERFECT as they are. The heat of the rest of the dish allows them to warm through, but there is no need to add them into the dish to cook them. They have a lovely salty briney taste and literally burst in your mouth, that is the taste and texture we are looking for. However, if you make then reheat the dish, they are fine to be in there as the dish is heated.
Calories: 277kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 467mg | Potassium: 283mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 613IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 2mg