Pumpkin Frittata with ricotta cheese
Roast Pumpkin pieces with fresh ricotta cheese, spinach, eggs, cream and cheese topped with pine nuts make a frittata packed with flavour!
- 500 grams pumpkin butternut or squash
- 1 tbsp olive oil Note 1
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 6 eggs free range
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
Preheat oven to 200°c/400°F, gas 6
Peel, cut and remove seeds from pumpkin. In a small bowl add olive oil, salt and pepper. Spray base of skillet with cooking oil, add pumpkin pieces and use a pastry brush to coat with oil mix.
Place pumpkin in oven for 15 mins or until pieces are just able to be pierced with a skewer but not too tender. Note 2
Use this time to crack your eggs into a mixing jug, add your cream and dried thyme and use a hand held mixer to combine to a smooth consistency.
Once pumpkin is cooked, remove from oven, spread spinach leaves over it in a layer. Scoop ricotta on top in dollops. Add mozarella cheese as a thin layer.
Pour egg mix over ingredients
Top with pine nuts
Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until there is no wobble in the middle of the frittata
- Note 1: usually when I roast pumpkin I add a dried herb such as rosemary or cinnamon. For this frittata I didn't want to overdo any of the flavours or ingredients. If you wish, by all means, you can add a herb to the oil, salt and pepper, before roasting. We do use a little thyme in the egg mix, so there will be plenty of flavour, don't worry.
- Note 2: you can cook the pumpkin on the stove top instead of the oven if you wish. Choose whichever method you prefer.
Calories: 277kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 209mg | Sodium: 538mg | Potassium: 449mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 8245IU | Vitamin C: 9.2mg | Calcium: 150mg | Iron: 2mg