Vegan Schnitzel Salad is a delicious salad recipe that is perfect for lunch or a light dinner! Crunchy noodles, freshly sliced wombok, toasted nuts, sliced shallots and a crispy schnitzel crumb! This is the perfect salad for Meatless Mondays.
What is a Vegan Schnitzel Salad?
Have you tried Vegan Schnitzels at all, you will want to with this delicious salad recipe.
You will remember last week, talking about crunchy noodle salads with our Tofu Fried Noodle Salad Recipe and if you don’t, you can grab that here. I wanted to continue along those same lines with today’s recipe, but show you that tofu is not the only option if you are wanting a meatless dish.
I first came across vegan schnitzels through one of my work colleagues. Being vegetarian, she always chose the Vegan ‘Chicken’ Burger from our work cafe menu. That comprised one vegan schnitzel patty and traditional burger toppings.
One day on a whim, I decided to try it and see if it was any good, boy was I impressed! The schnitzel was crunchy and combined with the other ingredients tasted just like a meat based dish. Discovering that you could buy those same schnitzel patties at the grocery store thrilled me as I realised I could whip up my own vegan schnitzel recipes.
What flavours are in a Vegan Scnitzel Salad?
It has been SO HOT in Queensland lately. Not a little bit warm, but HOT, HOT, HOT! The best foods to eat are light meals full of great flavour.
This recipe is perfect for that as the schnitzel is oven baked, so there is no nasty deep fried component and the remaining salad ingredients combine well.
Our dressing gives the salad a bit of ‘zing’ and you will want to make this one of your weekly recipes!
What noodles should I use in a Crunchy Noodle Salad?
The Oriental Fried Noodles are sold in a packet. You can pick one up easily at your local grocery store. They add texture, crunch and a bit of variety to your otherwise boring ‘green leaf salads’.
The green onions or shallots as we Aussies tend to call them, bring a lovely contrast to the flavour of the schniztel and you get your onion fix without the tears.
You guys know me well enough by now to know that I LOVE making salads. Here on Sweet Caramel Sunday, you will find a wide variety of them. A couple of my favourites are:
- Edamame Quinoa Salad (recipe is here)
- Shredded Brussels Sprout Quinoa Salad (recipe is here)
- Tofu Fried Noodle Salad (recipe is here)
- Sun Dried Tomato Quinoa Salad (recipe is here)
Vegan schnitzels are a great Meatless Monday option. Not only do they taste great, they are SO easy to prepare!
This salad has all of the elements. There is great colour, flavour and texture. Don’t be suprised if it is a huge hit at your next BBQ!
Vegan Schnitzel Salad questions answered:
About the recipe:
- This is a PERFECT BBQ salad!
- You can meal prep this salad for lunches
- The nuts can be toasted in the microwave OR in a pan on the stove
- The dressing will need to be stirred before pouring as the ingredients separate easily
To answer your questions:
- The salad is best served with HOT vegan schnitzels (microwave separately if at work)
- The dish is not suitable for freezing
- The recipe contains no egg or dairy
- This is a SUPER EASY dish to pull together
Oven baking the vegan schnitzels in the oven, is the healthiest way to cook them. If you are pushed for time, you can, however, toast them in a sandwich press.
Preparing your Vegan Schnitzel Salad
This is an easy recipe to pull together. There is therapy to be hand in slicing the ingredients, toasting the nuts and stirring your drizzle. Relax and enjoy it. The salad keeps very well before it is drizzled. This is handy if you want to get all of your ingredients sorted and cook other dishes.
People will talk about this salad! It is a very modern meatless option, so don’t be suprised if your schnitzel becomes the shizzle!
Vegan Schnitzel Salad Recipe
Vegan Schnitzel Salad Recipe
- 4 vegan schnitzel patties
- 1/2 wombok (napa cabbage)
- 1 bunch shallots (green onions)
- 1 cup shaved almonds
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp peanut oil
- 100 grams oriental fried noodles
Vegan Schnitzel Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 tsp garlic (minced)
- 1 tcp ginger (minced)
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
Vegan Schnitzel Salad Method
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees F 82.2 degrees C. Line a baking tray with paper
- Place schnitzel patties onto baking tray. Cook for 10 minutes, before turning and cooking for another 10 minutes
- Remove any old leaves from wombok, cut stem off base, slice finely and add to a salad bowl
- Remove outside layer of shallot, trim roots, then chop into small pieces
- Toast almond flakes in a pan on the stove until they turn a light golden brown
- Combine wombok, shallots, almonds and crunchy fried noodles in a large salad bowl
- Add sliced schnitzel pieces to salad bowl
- Dress and toss to combine
Vegan Schnitzel Salad Dressing Method
- In a small jar, combine vinegar, soy sauce, oil, garlic and ginger. Add lid and shake to combine
- Remove lid, add agave syrup and stir to combine
- If you want a vegetarian option instead of a vegan recipe, you can use honey instead of agave syrup
- For a crispier crumb, you can shallow fry the schnitzel patties
Not only is this salad tasty, it looks pretty too!!!
More about me
Where does the time go!!! No doubt, you feel it flying past as well. Planning my America trip is keeping me very busy and I am delighted that we are also going to Canada!! I can’t wait to visit some animal shelters in those beautiful countries and see how the Yanks and Canadians manage Animal Welfare.
New York, New York, here I come! Did I tell you that this is one of the stops along the way!
I hope that you are keeping well and that you are cooking your heart out. Finding relaxation in your kitchen with beautiful ingredients. As always, I am usually on the blog, so drop me a line and we can have a chat x
P.S Tonks is spoilt. It was taken me 5 years to realise that, haha!! But it’s me that feels lucky to have him. I took pic to show you but it was on my phone and it is really poor quality. So just imagine the most handsome smoochy black cat and you will be on the right track!
For more salad inspiration and recipes, check out these ideas: