Strawberry Crepes with Chocolate Custard for Breakfast on Sweet Caramel Sunday!
Sweet, light and fluffy crepes, filled with strawberries smothered in chocolate custard, hello breakfast in bed!!
Happy Easter everyone!! Put your hand up if you love Strawberry crepes! I hope that your time has been spent with family and friends and that chocolate was on the menu for the few relaxing days!
These Strawberry crepes with chocolate custard came from seeing my family at the start of the long weekend where my sis gave me a crepe fry pan.
Seems like it wasn’t right for their induction stove top but perfect for my gas one (thanks Catherine 🙂 ). I am definitely not complaining!
Practice makes perfect!
Growing up we lived in a house where mum made crepes a lot. I can remember almost every time she made them as it was such a process. In a good way. She had this crepe maker which was an electric appliance and every crepe was flipped with perfect precision. I remember it being heavy, but despite this, the crepes were produced one after the other until a whole stack of them sat there for filling.
Sweet or Savoury
I think quite a lot of them turned into savoury dinners with either seafood or mushrooms or chicken fillings. My parents had many dinner parties as we were growing up and these definitely were a hit as they were put on the table time, after time, after time. I admit that back then I wasn’t as big of a fan of them as it took me longer to develop my taste for seafood and it seemed a little odd to me that something that looked so sweet would be served as a savoury dish and not with strawberries and cream.
Anyhoo, so this cooking time today spent in my kitchen is also a wonderful trip down memory lane as I am visualising the kitchen and dining table set for guests of our youth and the perfection that was sought in ensuring each crepe was a perfect specimen. I admit that I don’t think my sisters and I minded when they weren’t as we would be allowed to eat the not so perfect ones along the way!
These Strawberry crepes are sure to be a winner for breakfast or dessert! Depending on how many mouths you have to feed, I would consider doubling the recipe so there is enough to go around and no fights over who gets the last of the crepes!
Strawberry Crepes Recipe with Chocolate Custard
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 egg free range
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 punnet fresh strawberries
- 250 ml chocolate custard
- icing sugar to serve
Strawberry Crepes Recipe Method
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, milk, egg, sugar and vanilla essence
- Whisk till combined and batter has no lumps
- Add 5c piece amount of butter to a medium non stick fry pan, use a pastry brush to move this around to coat the pan (see notes)
- Add 5c piece amount of button to a medium non stick fry pan, use a pastry brush to move this around to coat the pan (see note below)
- Use an ice-cream scoop to spoon batter into pan, cook for just less than a minute, flip and cook the other side
- Serve with fresh strawberries, icing sugar and chocolate custard
- If you can't find Chocolate Custard, you can add cocoa powder to vanilla custard for the same affect (it is delicious too!!)
- he batter for these works best if it has had a chance to rest in the fridge after it has been made, allow for this in your prep time.
- These can be filled with anything sweet - strawberries, bananas, ice-cream, blueberries, pretty much anything you can think of - have a little fun with it!
- I would not recommend these be filled and served as a savoury option due to the sweetness of the batter, ie the vanilla essence and sugar
- For a savoury crepe, substitute a pinch of salt for the sugar and omit the vanilla essence.
- If using a non stick pan, the butter will do about 5 crepes, it would be too greasy if you re-buttered in between each crepe and imagine how much yoga you would have to do to burn all that butter off!
- The technique I used for these is to have 2 pairs of tongs. One pair in each hand. This will ensure you can flip without burning your fingers.
Make these for breakfast in bed for your partner and I guarantee they will LOVE them!