Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Wings are tender, juicy and delicious! With a simple marinade that becomes sauce these easy crockpot chicken wings are delightfully mouthwatering.
If you love finger licking good chicken, then you have come to the right place! Simply delicious Slow Cooker Sticky Chicken Wings or Lemon Garlic Chicken, slow cooker chicken literally falls off the bone! Serve with delicious side dishes like our mashed peas.
Chicken Wings are a perfect choice when entertaining as they are finger food that can be shared around.
Take our style chicken at home like our Honey Soy Chicken Stir Fry has never been easier! The best recipe for teriyaki wings is right here! Serve them with a side of skin on roast potatoes for a complete meal! Much like our Honey BBQ Chicken Wings this recipe is incredibly easy!
Our oven baked Honey Soy Chicken Wings are popular on the blog and it is easy to see why. There is something about juicy, sticky chicken that we all enjoy. The joys of teriyaki chicken naturally come after our honey soy combo.
Plus chicken wings recipes are so versatile. You can oven bake them, bbq or pop them in the slow cooker like we are doing with this recipe. Put simply, slow cooker sticky chicken wings are convenient for nights when you don’t have a lot of time!
What ingredients do I need for Teriyaki Chicken Wings?
The ingredients for this recipe are easy to get your hands on. See these in the photo below:
- chicken wings
- soy sauce
- balsamic vinegar
- garlic powder
- honey (optional)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
For a sweet twist on this traditional teriyaki chicken recipe, pop some honey in the marinade for honey teriyaki chicken wings!
How do you make Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Wings
Making these wings is easy!
It does take a little longer to cook our wings and for that reason, instead of marinading and refrigerating, we simply pour the marinade straight over our wings!
In a nutshell the recipe can be broken down into 16 easy steps. These are outlined in the photo below.
The method we follow is to:
- making our teriyaki marinade (shown in photos 1-9)
- spray the slow cooker with cooker oil to prevent sticking (shown in photo 10)
- add wings to slow cooker and pour marinade over them (shown in photo 11)
- use tongs to rotate the wings in the slow cooker so that both sides are coated (shown in photos 12 -13)
- make a slurry using flour and teriyaki sauce (shown in photo 14)
- pour the slurry back into the crockpot (shown in photo 15)
- stir the sauce and slurry to allow the slurry to thicken the sauce (shown in photo 16)
From the above steps, there are 4 which are the essential steps that you need to focus on. These are shown in the photo below.
How do you make Teriyaki Sauce with Chicken Wings?
When we start this recipe, we make a simple marinade that we pour into the slow cooker.
We combine our soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, garlic, garlic powder, water, salt and pepper. These brings those flavours together and makes for delicious chicken.
This marinade however, has quite a thin texture to it.
So we take some steps to thicken the sauce using a slurry.
In the photos below, you can see the marinade being poured into the slow cooker. At this point, it has a similar consistency to soy sauce.
After the wings are cooked, we use a little bit of flour and combine it with marinade to make a much thicker, richer teriyaki sauce. Making this an easy teriyaki wing sauce recipe that you can count on.
Once we pour the slurry back into the crockpot, we then stir it gently to combine.
You can see the thinness of the initial sauce in the 1st pic, the flour and sauce being combined in the 2nd photo. The thickness of the slurry in the 3rd pic and the slurry being stirred back into the chicken wings in the final photo.
We do all of the above to create simply delicious sticky wings!
Teriyaki Chicken Wings quick info:
About the recipe:
- teriyaki sauce is made from soy sauce, ginger sauce, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper
- for a honey teriyaki marinade add honey when combing teriyaki sauce
- you can purchase whole wings and cut them yourself or purchase pre cut wings
- cook time for the wings is 2 – 3 hrs on high
FAQs about Teriyaki Chicken Wings
- the marinade will work for up to 1kg of wings
- 700 grams (indicated here) will make approximately 13 chicken wing pieces
- there is no marinade time period, simply pour over the wings
- these are fall off the bone tender chicken wings
Your quick questions answered:
- Making the teriyaki sauce takes about 5 mins
- my slow cooker if 5 litres
- spraying it with cooking oil helps to preventing the sauce sticking to the base
- This is an EASY recipe
It will be handy to keep these tips in mind when you are making this recipe:
- the slow cooker can cook these at high or low heat
- for the marinade, use a large jar to combine all of the ingredients (and shake)
- lay your wings out flat ie not on top of each other
- use tongs for easily handling of the wings
Chicken Wing recipes (for every occasion)
Here are some more wing sauce combinations that you will love:
- Honey Garlic Chicken Wings (using ginger beer)
- Honey Soy Chicken Wings (family favourite recipe)
- Chili Lime Chicken Wings (oven baked recipe)
- Honey Mustard Chicken Wings (also done in the slow cooker)
Top with sesame seeds and shallots for a garnish idea! They will stick easily and give a great texture and pop of colour to your wings!
Honey Teriyaki Chicken Wings
- Slow Cooker
- Kitchen Tongs
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Wings
- 700 grams chicken wings Note 1
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey Note 2
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tbs ginger minced Note 3
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to season
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Wings
- To make your teriyaki marinade combine soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, salt, pepper and water. Stir or shake in a jar to combine
- Spray slow cooker bowl with cooking oil and turn slow cooker heat on
- Use kitchen tongs to transfer your chicken wings into the base of the bowl
- Pour teriyaki marinade over chicken wings
- Use kitchen tongs to rotate wings around in marinade so that both sides are covered.
- Place lid on slow cooker and cook for 2 hours on high or 4 hours on low
- Add 2 tablespoons of plain flour to a heatproof jug. Remove 4 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce from the slow cooker and add it to your flour. Stir continuously to mix together, trying to avoid clumping. This will create a slurry. Note 4
- Use a spoon to pour the slurry back into the crockpot.
- Replace the lid and cook for a further 15 mins to allow sauce to thicken
- Note 1 the chicken wings you see in my photos are purchased pre-cut. They are sometimes called 'chicken nibblets'.
- Note 2 the honey is optional and you can decided if you do or don't want to use it. The teriyaki sauce has a sweet flavour regardless due to the brown sugar, so you don't need it for sweetness. I like to add it as it adds an extra dimension to the dish and the flavour is sensational!
- Note 3 minced ginger is much better for this recipe than powdered ginger. It has an aromatic fragrance and is able to shine with the other ingredients.
- Note 4 Some recipes call for adding the thickener ie flour etc at the start of the recipe. I prefer to add it at the end. It is easy to do and makes a nicer, thicker sauce.
Easy and delicious, chicken recipes work as you have so many options and cooking techniques.
I can’t imagine a day that would go past where I would pass up a plate of juicy chicken wings if not for their easy in cooking but also the wide variety of flavour combinations (I’m getting hungry just thinking about them haha!) .
If you haven’t made chicken wings before, why not give them a go now. You might be suprised how much you come to love them!
As always, shout out if you want me to expand on anything in the recipe, clarify the steps or are stuck. It’s going to be a wing party at your place and this is your invitation.