Salmon Zucchini Salad which will made you feel good from the inside out. Raw grated zucchini, freshly sliced radishes, flaked salmon, salty capers and toasted almonds deliver this recipe to your table in less than 15 minutes.
This is a quick and easy recipe!
Salmon Zucchini Salad recipe that feels good
Hello, my compadres!! How are you?
I want to share with you a Quick and Easy Salmon Zucchini Salad recipe that I have been developing. You will remember that recently I shared my Quick and Easy Chicken Salad recipe and well, my friends, I wanted to deliver again along those same lines.
We use the same technique in this salad as we do in our Watermelon Cucumber Feta Salad. That is using a grater to make ribbons out of our vegetables. In this case, it is zucchini ribbons and in the watermelon salad, it is cucumber ribbons.
How to make a Quick and Easy Salmon Zucchini Salad?
Time is never a plenty these days. Whether it be work, partners, kids, life, yoga, family, friends, pets, we don't have loads of time up our sleeve. I found with the Quick and Easy Chicken Salad it MADE MY LIFE EASIER and that is what I want to do for you too.
This Salmon Zucchini Salad takes less than 15 minutes with no compromise on taste or flavour!
It would be a bit boring (ok A LOT boring) if we ate the same thing every night, so let's spice it up and have a few quick go to recipes up our sleeve that are time friendly.
Again, we are starting with our vegetable raw on our plates and then creating a little flavour packed party around that. You can choose for this to marinade the salmon or not, both choices will result in a fantastic dish and I wanted to give you options. Some nights you may want to, some nights you don't.
I will also let you in on a little secret, even though this salad looks pretty, it is not difficult to recreate. It is all about the layers. I have included step by step photos to show you exactly what to do.
Marinated salmon packs a punch, but with the right dressing you can skip that step and dress the salad thereby also creating additional flavour to an unmarinated salmon portion.
So that you can see what I am talking about, I made the recipe with photos here by marinating the salmon. I also wanted to show you a cool trick where you can use a zip lock bag to marinade making kitchen life easy peasy!
How to cook Quick and Easy Salmon for Salad?
With the Quick and Easy Chicken Salad one of the reasons that it works so well is that we use pre-cooked chicken (homemade or a rotterise one). For this salmon zucchini salad, we think along the same lines, however, we want to use freshly cooked salmon and it is so quick that we cook it ourselves.
I chose to marinade the salmon very briefly in a teriyaki sauce (you can easily get at the shops), whilst I prepped the other ingredients, then when I was ready, cooked the fillets for 4 minutes on one side before flipping them and cooking for 4 minutes on the other side.
You can use salmon with skin or without, I would encourage you to make the skin part of the salad if your fillets have skin, as it will crisp up to perfection if you leave it on for your 4 minute flip!
This recipe was calling me to develop it as whilst yes, it is healthy, is just tastes SO DARN GOOD!!
Here is dinner on your table in under 15 minutes
We don't need to go overboard with ingredients with this one as the combination of the zucchini, radishes, salmon, almonds and capers gel really well together. I love using radishes not only for the taste, but they are so pretty don't you think?
You grate the zucchini into long thin strips, much like we did with our cucumber ((Chicken Cucumber Salad), slice the radishes, cook the salmon, toast the almonds and bring it all together to dress.
I have done a cheat sheet here for you which is a summary of the steps, keep in mind you can marinate the salmon (teriyaki sauce) but it is an optional step. Toasting the almonds is optional too in that there will be an additional flavour for this texture, but it is not an essential step if you chose not to undertake it.
Vegan about it
You guys know that I like to include a vegan or vegetarian option with my recipes, it has become the case that it always crossed my mind so let's talk about it. For this recipe, my recommendation for a vegan options is to use vegan schnitzel. Yup, uh-huh, there is only 1 ingredient we have to change and that is out with the salmon and in with the schnitzel!
Salad recipe ideas
Whilst I like to switch it up to keep things interesting here on Sweet Caramel Sunday, I also LOVE to make salads. This Salmon Zucchini Salad and my Chicken Cucumber Salad are quick recipes. But I also have some recipes for those weekends when you do have more time to spend in the kitchen (YAY!)
A few of my favourites are:
- Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad (recipe is here)
- Black Bean Quinoa Salad (recipe is here)
- Shredded Brussels Sprout Quinoa Salad (recipe is here)
Who knew that with a little imagination salads could be so fun and tasty!
About the recipe:
- The salmon can be served hot or cold
- The recipe only has 5 ingredients!
- This dish will take less than 15 minutes to make
- This is a perfect week night salad
- We use fresh salmon for this recipe
To answer your questions:
- The salad is not suitable to freeze
- I like to toast the almonds on a flat plate on the stove (you can use the microwave)
- For a vegan option, use vegan schnitzel instead of salmon
- This is a SUPER EASY salad recipe to make
This is a fresh and inviting salad. It looks pretty and it is full of flavour!
How to marinade and cook salmon for use in salads
If you do choose to marinade the salmon before cooking it, this is my quick way of doing it. Put the salmon fillets into a zip lock bag, pour the marinade in, seal the bag and leave sit whilst you prep the other ingredients. (It is SO easy and no mess or fuss this way).
How to prepare salmon for use in salad
You will love this meal because it is quick. You will love this meal because it is easy. Embrace these and your week nights will be made just that bit easier. Save the long roasting and slow cooking for the weekends and kick back with your feet up after making a fabulous quick dish.
To flake the salmon, you use 2 forks and swiftly break in up into smaller bite sized pieces.
If it helps, on the weekend sit down and plan out your meals and groceries. I use an App on my phone called Out of Milk. It is a shopping list but it also allows me to create lists, I find if I am about to go into the shops, I want to cook everything and anything and walk away with stuff that sits in the cupboard for weeks. BUT, if I am smarter about it, I plan out the meals ahead of time and then my friends the work life balance is achieved with time up our sleeves.
If you love using vegetables in cooking then check out these zucchini recipes for loads more inspiration:
Salmon Zucchini Salad Recipe
Salmon Zucchini Salad Recipe
- 8 zucchinis small or medium are perfect
- 8 radishes
- 4 200gram salmon fillets skin on or off
- ⅓ cup teriyaki marinade
- ½ cup flaked almonds
- ⅓ cup capers
- ⅓ cup balsamic garlic vinaigrette
Salmon Zucchini Salad Method
- Add salmon fillets to a zip lock back, pour in teriyaki sauce and seal bag (optional step)
- Peel zucchinis into long thin strips rotating in hand until only core remains (dis-guard or keep for other recipe)
- Slice radishes thinly using a sharp knife or mandolin
- Toast almonds for approximately 3 minutes on the stove or in the microwave (optional step)
- Cook salmon for 4 minutes before flipping to other side for a further 4 minutes
- Use 2 forks to flake into small pieces
- Add zucchini, radishes, flaked salmon, toasted almonds and capers to salad plates. Dress with roasted garlic dressing and serve
- Marinating the salmon in the teriyaki sauce is an optional step. You do get a bit of extra flavour when you do this step (and I do it because I love teriyaki salmon), however, the dressing will also flavour the salmon so if you don't want to take this step, it won't ruin the whole dish to leave it out!
- I use a store bought roasted garlic balsamic dressing for this recipe. It has great flavour and doesn't compromise on taste. You will be able to find it in your supermarket, sauces section.
I love those zucchini swirls!
And it is hard not to love pretty pink radish slices!
Pop the salmon on top (I like it to be warm), you might like it cold, both work!
Almonds, capers and dressing = ALL DONE!!