Here is a Quick and Easy Chicken Salad recipe that will take the hassle out of work night cooking and put the yum back into your dinner dishes!
Salads bring energy and variety to our meals! Our Roast Chicken Salad is fuss free and packed with flavour!
You know how some nights you are busy, busy and things get HECTIC and you just don't have the same amount of time or energy for life? Well for those nights, I have created this recipe that I wanted to share with you. So many times, I have driven to the shops and seen the line for a chicken takeaway place be massive and I have thought 'but the shop is just there, why not pop in and get a roast chicken'. I get it though, the thought of hot, roasted, fresh chicken makes life easier sometimes especially if you don't have to cook it.
Quick and Easy Chicken salad must haves
- Chicken salad that still had a 'yum' factor
- Good enough to not need hot chips
- Pre cooked chicken so that hard work was already taken care of
- A balance between protein and veggies so a filling and delicious dish
You will find this recipe so easy that you will likely have it once a week. It doesn't have too many ingredients and there is literally no hard work involved. When we talked about the recipe for my Crispy Chicken Caesar salad recently, I had some great feedback and I know you loved that dish as much as I do. However, there is still a bit of work involved as you have to go through the process of battering the chicken with the breadcrumbs and then oven baking it. It is delicious, however, it is not the objective behind this recipe.
I love hot chips, you love hot chips, our partners do, the kids do, we all do, BUT we all know we need to balance it out a bit as too many and the jeans get tighter, the exercise regime needs to increase and we don't have that feel good feeling after eating.
In Australia, a good old roast chicken from the main grocery stores is called a 'BBQ chicken or chook'. I know in the USA and Canada it is referred to as a 'Rotisserie chicken', that is what I have used for this recipe.
As you can see in the pics, you have your shredded or sliced chicken, your coleslaw and corn kernels to begin with. As we are working with already cooked chicken, you can literally shred it and add it to your salad bowl.
As we are making life easy for ourselves with this one, the other 2 things we do are open and drain then rinse a can of corn kernels and then add some already prepped but not dressed coleslaw to our bowl.
How to make a quick and easy salad dressing
You guys know how much I love using greek yoghurt for my salad dressings, such as in this Turmeric Cous Cous Salad with Basil Drizzle. I often opt for that base to start with, but then vary my other ingredients to suit.
So with our Quick and Easy Chicken Salad Recipe, you just need to add some mustard to the yoghurt, blend and then it is ready to use to dress our salad. There is no mayo involved but you still get a nice thick and creamy salad dressing.
So, we dress and we toss and then we are all done and we are ready to devour this delicious dish. Let's check out the recipe.......
Quick and Easy Chicken Salad
Quick and Easy Chicken Salad
- 1 BBQ chicken shredded or sliced
- 1 200g Coleslaw store bought
- 1 425g Corn Kernels drained and rinsed
- 1 cup light greek yoghurt
- 2 tbsp American mustard
- Shred or sliced the chicken and dis-guard the bones
- Open coleslaw and add to salad bowl
- Add corn kernels to salad bowl
- Dress salad with Mustard Drizzle and Toss to Combine
- Combine greek yoghurt and mustard in a blender jug and blitz to combine.
- If you have leftover poached or roast chicken from another dish, you can use that instead of buying a roast chicken
- Other options instead of the corn kernels are chick peas or red kidney beans
- You can heat and eat this salad, the veggies will be fine microwaved for a bit
- It also can be enjoyed cold though - ideal for work lunches or a busy mum on the run!
- Eating the skin is largely optional for this dish if you go with the store cooked roast chicken. Some people feel it has too much fat, where as others don't want to waste any part of the animal product. I will let you be the judge of that decision.
- To thin out the drizzle if it has sat in the fridge before the salad is dressed, use a wee bit of lemon juice (just a squirt is perfect!)
All about the salads at the moment...so let me give you a few more ideas to spark your curiosity, I know you will LOVE these other recipes:
- Turmeric Cous Cous Salad with Basil Drizzle (it is BRIGHT yellow and packed with flavour!)
- Broccoli Rice Salad (the broccoli is well seasoned and SO not boring)
- Bacon and Egg Quinoa Salad (is there anything better than bacon and eggs in salad, nope I don’t think so!!)
- Potato Salad (every BBQ needs one of these)
- Crispy Chicken Caesar salad (yum and yummo, enough said!)
Shout out if you have any questions, I am here and happy to answer them!
If chicken recipes are your thing and you are looking for more inspiration, here are some delicious recipes:
January 8, 2021
December 10, 2020
October 11, 2020
October 5, 2020