Minestrone Soup in on Sweet Caramel Sunday!
This Minestrone Soup is packed with vegetables and flavour, you will enjoy every spoonful!
Who wants a hot and steaming bowl of Minestrone Soup tonight! If you are thinking ‘yes, yes I do’, then keep reading as this recipe is for you. It is not overly complicated and you could make it on a work night easily and take the left overs to work for the next few lunches.
I’m a massive fan of minestrone but I hate when it is overcooked and the veggies have become flat and lifeless. I avoid that by blanching some of them instead of boiling as then there is colour and texture still in the dish.
I recently found out about the new ‘streaky bacon’ (or maybe it is not new, I am just new to it) trend and when I tried it, I was surprised and delighted. The bacon is really thinly sliced and then crisps up in the oven. You don’t need a lot of meat in the dish to get that flavor and is a lighter option than eating a meat heavy dish.(So it is perfect to add to this minestrone).
Occasionally in the past, I have made this dish by cutting and putting the bacon directly into the soup broth, but in thinking a bit more laterally, I was able to create a way to still have crispy bacon in the dish. I was super happy with the results as I am sure you will be too.
Hope everyone had a great week and catch you no doubt over the weekend, in your kitchens or out and about. I love seeing what everyone has been up on their blogs, instagram feeds and pinterest searches.
Brisvegas looks like it might be a wet weather weekend, so cooking up a batch of this minestrone soup will help you get through the change from our usual sunny skies. (No blue at all visible in my part of the world).
Let me know if you give this dish a shout, I would love to know what you think. If you share a picture on instagram use the hashtag #sweetcaramelsunday I would love to check it out xx
- 1 litre beef stock
- 400 ml diced tomatoes
- 1 cup carrot thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch celery thinly sliced
- 400 grams kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 500 grams streaky bacon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- parsley to garnish
Minestrone Soup Method
- Add stock to a saucepan at medium heat, as well as frozen carrots, can of tomatoes and pasta, allow to come to the boil.
- Once the broth is boiling, reduce the temperature and cook for another 20 mins, or until macaroni is full cooked.
- Cook the bacon in the oven, for this same period of time, or until edges are crispy. When cool roll into bacon curls.
- In a heat proof bowl, add the red kidney beans and pour over boiling water, leave it to sit for 2 minutes. Use the same technique for the celery pieces, then drain water.
- In serving bowls, start by adding the macaroni soup base, red kidney beans and celery, add additional liquid from the saucepan and garnish with parsley.
- *I used frozen carrot to make this recipe, but you can use fresh or frozen. (I really like how they cut frozen carrots, which I haven't yet achieved manually!!)
Post published April 2018, updated April 2019 with new recipe card (original recipe)
If you like this recipe for Minestrone Soup, you will no doubt want to check out this Chicken noodle soup recipe which is another easy and delicious meal you can make! Or check out my pinterest soup board as there is over 200 soup ideas that I have put together there for inspiration on these cooler nights! Lots of ideas to get you started or get you thinking about new flavour combinations.