Popular treats like our Triple Caramel Chocolate Brownies, Lion Cake, Orange Polenta Cake and Lemon Polenta Cake are worth taking a look at! For a no fuss dessert, check the No Bake Chocolate Cake. For festive desserts your go to recipes are our Chocolate Ripple Wreath, Christmas Wreath Pavlova and 8 Egg Pavlova.
What a fun way to spend some time in the kitchen coming up with these. You will be Mum, Dad, Aunty, Uncle, Girlfriend, Boyfriend, Sister, Brother or mate of the Year!
We had a bake sale at work yesterday and I wanted to make something fun. I had made Cookie Monster Cupcakes in the past and they definitely ticked the fun box. We talk a lot about salads and veggies on Sweet Caramel Sunday, but I want you to find some recipes here that your kids will love as well!
How to make easy cookie monster cupcakes
I also wanted to share a few ‘let’s make life easier’ tips with you for this post. It was a week night I was making these and everybody knows, you can’t get into your kitchen groove as much on weeknights as you can on weekends. (I talk more about that in my Stuffed Baked Pumpkin recipe which you can get here).
I did a few things along the way to make sure that I was still cool, calm and collected in the kitchen.
Tips to make cookie monster cupcakes
One of the 1st things I did in making these was think about my timing.
I chose to make the cupcakes on Sunday when I had more time. Then I made the buttercream icing on Monday and did the rest of the creative work.
This made an enormous amount of difference to my Monday night in the kitchen. With the cupcakes already made, my time was freed up to enjoy the fun part of creating these Cookie Monsters! (And there was also not as much cleaning up to do-YAY!)
Another tip I wanted to share with you is that I make my buttercream in my food processor. (OMG, that seems like a sin doesn’t it!) So don’t think that to make buttercream you need to get your fancy pants on, because I am here to tell you that ain’t the truth.
How to make buttercream for cookie monster cupcakes
As I knew it wouldn’t all fit in the food processor at the same time, I made 2 batches of my buttercream. I did one batch, put it into this bowl and then the other batch.
Another tip is that you need to do both batches and then add the blue food colouring. Otherwise you will have two different shades of blue and your Cookie Monster Cupcakes won’t be consistently coloured.
After both batches of Buttercream are made, I add the food colouring and then use my handheld beaters to mix it in consistently. This part is important as you don’t want any streaky icing, so whip it up gang!
You can see in the photos that I have my little candy eyes ready to go. I bought these at my local cake decorating store and I have seen them also at major grocery stores.
How to pipe buttercream for cupcakes
Another trick, I have picked up along the way, which I am showing you here with the 2 sleeve piping technique. If you have ever tried to clean icing off a piping bag you will know the time it takes to do that. So let’s save ourselves the trouble, put our buttercream into a disposable piping bag to begin with (add the piping tip 1st). Then put that piping sleeve into a bigger piping bag. This means that once you are done, you can remove the outer bag, cut the tip off the inner bag and dispose of it. Then you only have to clean the piping nozzle (hello my friend…the dishwasher, rinse and put in there and you are good).
Growing up, Mum had a piping kit which I loved using or watching her use, but there was literally only one piping bag and I hate cleaning at the best of times. Learning this technique has healed memories of youth standing at the kitchen sink for hours trying the get the darn thing clean!
Piping techniques for cookie monster cupcakes
I would recommend you pipe all of the icing on 1st, then decorate away once that is done!
You will need some cookies for the mouths and for this recipe, I have used whole Oreo Cookies.
Once the eyes are on and the cookies are in, you can put the cupcakes in the fridge overnight ready to go the next day.
Cookie Monster Cupcakes
Vanilla Cupcakes (makes 12)
- 280 g self raising flour
- 100 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs free range
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 60 g butter melted
- 1 tsp imitation vanilla essence
- 5 cups icing sugar
- 400g butter
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 2 tsp imitation vanilla essence
- 4 tbsp blue food colouring
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees. Line a 12 hole muffin tray with cupcake wrappers. Put you cookies in a small bowl. Add your eyes to another container. Place food colouring with cookies and eyes so you will be ready to decorate
- Add flour, sugar and vanilla essence to mixing bowl and use hand held beaters to combine. Melt the butter in a heatproof jug in the microwave, then pour it into flour mix. Crack eggs into the bowl and add milk as well. Beat until all ingredients are combined
- Spoon mix into cupcake wrappers, bake for 30 minutes, or until lightly golden on top.
- Add icing sugar and vanilla essence to your food processor, pulse to combine. Add chopped butter and mix until it comes together. Add milk gradually, By starting with one tablespoon, pulsing and then the next tablespoon. Add food colouring last and continue to mix until colour is smooth and consistent.
- Add a piping nozzle to the end of a disposable piping bag ad cut plastic tip to reveal piping noozle. Transfer buttercream into this bag. Place piping bag into another larger piping bag.
- Begin to pipe your buttercream onto each cupcake and repeat for remaining cupcakes
- Decorate with 2 eyes and 1 cookie per cupcake
- Make cupcakes ahead of time if you need. Place in the fridge overnight.
- Use food processor to make buttercream as it is faster and easier than stand mixer
- This recipe makes for a BIG amount of buttercream on each cupcake. You can however, halve the recipe and has less icing per cupcake.
- If making 2 batches of the icing, add the colour last, so you get consistent colour across the 12.
- To aid cleaning, use a disposable piping bag inside a larger piping bag. Once icing is piped, remove inner piping bag, but tip out and discard bag.
- For presentation - use a couple of broken cookies around your cupcakes!!
Ok so we have a lot of fun going on with this post. But don’t forget clean your teeth before you go to bed as these ones are a dentist’s worst nightmare or absolute delight depending on which way you look at it!
Fun recipes on SWS:
- White Chocolate Bark (Perfect for Christmas treats!)
- Rocky Road (Chocolate Lovers Dream)
- Dark Chocolate Rocky Road (For a change on the traditional!)
- Dark Chocolate Bark (Pieces of this are hard to resist!!)
Thanks for stopping by, I hope to see you again soon on Sweet Caramel Sunday.
Adrianne x (Tonka is asleep, oh to be a cat in the next life!)