Chilli Lime Chicken Larb is for dinner!
Asian style flavours with some chicken mince and vermicelli noodles take this Chicken Larb in the right direction!
I have been wanting to make my cooking even more healthy lately and follow the trends I see like using super foods, like quinoa, more and more veggies and flavours that give zing and zest.
In Big W recently, a Donna Hay cooking magazine caught my eye as the front cover image of a burger with green sauce dripping from it looked to die for.
So when one of my sisters asked me what I wanted for my birthday I suggested that as I already had a picture of it I could send her and I don’t usually buy things like that on a whim as you end up with too much crap everywhere and I don’t like over cluttering my living space with every possible thing. So my birthday came and I received (gratefully) a copy of said magazine, which I eagerly perused and drooled over. As it was a weekend I was cooking on, I wanted to make something a little indulgent, different from the Monday – Friday, however, still within in a ‘healthy choice’ kind of range. Her recipe for a chicken larb caught my eye so I proceeded down that path, however, I changed the recipe to make it my own as I prefer to make things with my own selection of accompaniments and I knew in blogging about it, I didn’t want to plagiarise anyone else’s work (no originality in doing that!).
Before leaving my folks at the coast to come back to Brisvegas, mum and I had taken a tour of her veggies garden where she loaded my up with some lovely greens – basil, shallots, mint, chives, all good things,that I couldn’t wait to add to this dish.
The recipe called for a Lime Vinaigrette which I did use this time and would use next time if in a hurry as super convenient and flavour is quite nice, however, as I like to know what is going in my foods, I think making it from scratch would be simple and easy enough.
It is so nice to be super chilled and relaxed at the moment, no stressors, putting my feet in the ocean up at Bribes and watching the sunset with mum, really makes you breathe at a slower pace, unwind and regroup all to face another week!
Eat your heart out xx
Chilli Lime Chicken Larb
Chilli Lime Chicken Larb
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 500 grams chicken mince
- 1/2 bunch chives
- 1/2 cup chilli lime vinaigrette
- 1 tbs chilli fresh, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 100 grams vermicelli noodles
- 1 lebanese cucumber thinly sliced
- 4 shallots
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
Chilli Lime Vinaigrette Method
- Heat wok and when at right temperature (hold your hand over the wok above and you will feel the hot air rising) add the oil, garlic and ginger
- Add the chicken mince and start to cook, breaking up any chunks as you go with a cooking utensil
- When the mince is near cooked (as there are very few pink bits left) add the vinaigrette
- Add the fresh chili, continue cooking, till meat is fully done, add the chives and stir in, for no longer than about 2 minutes
- Once the larb is done, prepare the noodles, by placing them in a heat proof bowl and pour enough water over them to cover, leave for about 4 minutes, use a fork to help separate
- Slice the cucumber and other greens for garnishing
- Rinse the vermicelli noodles, portion into serving plates and top with the larb
- Add cucumber and additional garnishes, top with a drizzle more of the vinaigrette and some granulated nuts
- *I like using the wok for this dish as it is super speedy, stove top either gas or electricity would also be fine (ie don’t go out and buy a wok just because you don’t have one, there is no need for that).