Baked Meatballs in Sauce are a delicious oven baked recipe.! This easy meatball recipe results in soft and juicy meatballs that you can serve with pasta, garlic bread or zucchini!
Everyone loves meatballs!
Whether they are slow cooked like our Meatballs in Sauce, baked for a quick appetiser like the Baked Chicken Meatballs recipe or popped into soup like the Meatball Tomato Soup, there is a recipe for each occasion!
Meatballs are an easy versatile dinner option!
If spaghetti is your thing with a hearty beef mince try the Slow Cooker Spaghetti Bolognese.
Is it better to cook meatballs in sauce or in oven?
Browning meatballs before putting them in a sauce is a widely popular cooking technique.
This method helps lock in the flavour of the meat and will give a slightly different texture to your cooked meatballs.
Another option is to pop the meatballs into a pan, cover with sauce and let them cook in the sauce without browning.
You can do whichever method you prefer.
For this recipe, I am showing you how to make your meatballs, cook them in the oven a little 1st, then pour the sauce in for the remaining cook time.
How long does it take to cook meatballs in sauce?
When we put the meatballs into the oven initially, we want to let them cook for about 15 mins.
After that, we remove the pan, pour our sauce over the meatballs, then return them to the oven to cook in the sauce for the remainder of the time.
All up it will take approximately 40 mins for the meatballs and sauce to cook.
Savory Italian Meatballs
To serve these savory Italian meatballs, you have a couple of different options. Try:
- adding to pasta
- serving with spaghetti
- zucchini noodles
- long thinly grated raw zucchini pieces
- on a long subway sandwich
- with garlic bread
These meatballs are kid friendly, freezer friendly and reheat well!
Oven Baked Meatballs in sauce ingredients
We use simple, easy to find ingredients for this recipe. The photo below shows you what you need:
As you can see, we have:
- beef mince (can use pork, lamb or chicken)
- diced tomatoes
- tomato soup
- parmesan cheese
- dried onion
- Italian herbs
- salt and pepper
I have used beef mince for the meatballs, but you can also use pork, lamb or chicken)
How to make a Fast Meatball recipe in the oven
The photos below are the easy step by step instructions you need to bring this dish together:
- finely chop your parsley (Photo 1)
- combine meatball ingredients, starting with beef mince (Photo 2)
- salt and pepper (Photo 3)
- Italian herbs (Photo 4)
You will need a medium size mixing bowl so you can get your hands in and combine the ingredients for rolling into balls
These Italian Meatballs sing from the parsley and Italian herbs mixed throughout!
- crack an egg into your mince mix (Photo 5)
- use clean hands to combine the ingredients (Photo 6)
- roll your mince into meatballs in the palms of your hands (Photo 7)
- cover the baking dish and oven bake for 15 mins (Photo 8)
Easy Italian Meatballs steps
- pour sauce into to cover meatballs (Photo 9)
- oven bake for at least 25 minutes (Photo 10)
- add parmesan cheese and cook for 5 more minutes (Photo 11)
- remove from oven and top with chopped parsley (Photo 12)
Baked Meatballs in Sauce recipe quick info:
About the recipe:
- we use 10 total ingredients for this recipe!
- you can use pork, lamb or chicken mince if you prefer
- this recipe will feed 4 people
- we need dried Italian herbs
- serve with fresh parsley
FAQs about Easy Italian Meatballs
- the meatballs are Italian flavoured
- they are soft and juicy with a cheesy tomato sauce
- you can make the tomato sauce and meatballs ahead of time and cook when ready
- the meatballs can be kept uncooked in the fridge for 2 days
Your quick questions answered:
- This is a quick and easy recipe
- The recipe makes approx 30 – 35 meatballs
- This is a FREEZER FRIENDLY recipe
- This is an EASY recipe
These tips are to help you master this recipe from the 1st time you make it:
- roll the meatballs into 1 or 2 bite size balls
- add a little spray oil to the bottom of a pan before adding the meatballs to cook
- cook the meatballs without sauce for approx 15 mins to begin
- pour in sauce and cook for another 25 mins
- freeze this recipe for easy meals during the week
Serve your meatballs with pasta one week and zucchini noodles the next!
Pop some Parmesan cheese and cracked pepper on your meatballs and you are good to go!
If spaghetti and meatballs makes all of your dreams come through, then these recipes will likely be right up your alley:
- Instant Pot Penne Pasta
- Blue Cheese Mac and Cheese
- Ground Beef Casserole
- Tuna Pasta Bake
- Slow Cooker Spaghetti Bolognese
- Smoked Salmon Spaghetti
- Sausage Spaghetti
Baked Meatballs in Sauce
- Mixing bowl
Baked Meatballs in Sauce
- 500 grams beef mince Note 1
- 1 tbs Italian seasoning Note 2
- 1 tbsp minced garlic Note 3
- 1 tbsp dried onion Note 4
- 1/3 cup cup finely chopped parsley Note 5
- 400 grams diced tomatoes Note 6
- 400 grams condensed tomato soup
- 1 egg
- Parsley to garnish
- Parmesan cheese to garnish
- cracked pepper to garnish
Baked Meatballs in Sauce
- Preheat your oven to 180°C / 350-375°F / Gas Mark 4-5
- Spray skillet with cooking oil
- Combine beef mince, egg, salt, pepper and parsley in a medium sized mixing bowl
- Use clean hands to mix meatball ingredients together
- Roll into small balls with the palm of your hands and place in the skillet
- Cover with foil and cook for 10 mins
- Combine tomato soup, diced tomatoes, garlic, dried onion, salt and pepper, stir to make the sauce.
- Remove meatballs from oven, uncover, pour tomato sauce over, bake for 20 - 30 mins till sauce is bubbling right in the middle
- Use oven mits to remove meatballs from the oven, sprinkle parmesan cheese over and return to the oven for approx 10 mins or until cheese melts.
- Serve with garlic bread, parsley, Parmesan cheese and cracked pepper.
- Note 1 I use beef mince for the recipe and find the pairing with Italian herbs and parsley goes hand in hand together. You can also use lamb, pork or chicken mince.
- Note 2 Dried herbs are fine here and really help bring the taste of Italy to the meatballs.
- Note 3 Mince your own garlic or purchase store bought minced garlic, either will do the trick!
- Note 4 Dried onion saves time and tears. Find it in the herbs and spice section of the store.
- Note 5 Fresh parsley is best here if you have/grow it. It adds a lovely fragrant easy addition and is great for a pop of colour on top of the dish.
- Note 6 You can also use crushed tomatoes if you like. Or whole peeled and use kitche scissors to chop them up as you go.
Beef mince is a versatile ingredient with endless possibilities. Spaghetti and meatballs is a popular one!
It might be Spagh bol that is your ultimate fav, an easy mac and cheese or Instant pot pasta for a quick dinner.
Meatballs, spaghetti, spaghetti and meatballs, does life get any better than this?
Please give me a shout if you have questions or make the recipe as I would love to hear your feedback.
Now go and get rolling!