Do you want to make Acai Ball snacks that will keep you snacking on healthy options instead of the 3pm sugar fix?
Here is how to make them. Acai Ball snacks are easy and delicious. Add some hemp seeds to half the batch for texture and everyone will be asking for one! We use acai powder for this recipe and you have got it, that is made from acai berry.
Acai Ball with acai powder and hemp seeds are easy and delicious to make!
These healthy delicious snacks, will keep you going all day!
I had been wanting to use hemp seeds in a recipe for a while now as they smell so good and have fantastic health benefits. I knew I would be able to come up with a recipe that would also cover the base of needing a snack some afternoons between work and yoga.
In the past, I have made energy balls with a different combination of ingredients and they have been so good to have on hand. You know those times when life takes over and you just don't have the same amount of get up and go that you normally would and you want to eat well but it is harder to achieve at times.....well on those days, these are for you.
If you whip some up when you do have the time, the days when you don't will be all sorted.
How do I make Acai Ball Snacks using acai powder?
It is really easy to make acai ball snacks.
We use acai powder the same way we would if we were rolling bliss balls in coconut or chia seeds. Basically, we roll our acai ball snacks and then coat them in the powder. It is fun and the results are very colourful!
Where to get the best Acai Powder?
You can get the best acai powder at Aldi. They have a range of powders that go in smoothies that are economical and cost effective.
I love varying it up a little and having some bliss balls with acai powder and some with hemp seeds. This keeps the texture and flavour interesting in case you go through the whole back in a week!
What is the difference between Acai Ball Snacks and Acai Bowl?
An acai ball snack is the recipe we are talking about here in this post. It can be called a Bliss Ball or an Energy Ball also.
An Acai Bowl recipe actually uses acai powder much like we do in this recipe. You may have heard of a trend in breakfast foods where you go our for acai bowls.
One of my friends and I have been to nearly every breakfast place in Brisbane for Acai Bowls. They are nutricious, delicious and so tasty that they will never have you craving bacon and eggs again!!
Are Acai Ball snacks healthy?
It was important to me to show you what actually goes in these as there as some varieties that you get from the shop only to realise that they are NOT as healthy as you thought.
As you can see from the above picture these Acai Energy Ball snacks, contain nothing but the good stuff!
When do I add texture to the Acai Ball Snacks?
We add our acai powder and hemp seeds at the end of the rolling process to provide colour and texture.
As the recipe makes a few balls, it is nice to have a variety so when you have them for a snack, they are not all the same.
You can choose which you feel like eating the most at the time....one with the hemp seeds which have a nice crunchy texture, or one with the acai powder which is smoother. Not to mention the bright purple colour!!
Can I freeze Acai Ball Snacks?
Yes you can!
The acai ball energy snacks will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks and yes they are also perfect if you want to freeze them!
Acai Ball Snacks
Acai and Hemp Seed Energy Balls
- ¼ cup acai powder
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- 1 cup pitted dates
- ½ cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ½ cup sunflower kernels
- Ensure that the pips have been removed from your dates, then blitz in food processor till finely chopped
- Add peanut butter, cacao powder, chia seeds and sunflower kernels. Blitz again to combine
- Refrigerate mix for 15-30 minutes
- Use a spoon to portion out the mix and use wet hands to roll into balls
- Pour Acai Powder into one bowl and Hemp Seeds into another. Roll acai ball snacks in either mix to coat
- Refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks.
- If you use a small ice cream scoop your acai ball snacks will be of a uniform consistency (imagine the emojis if we were having this conversation by text!). It was when I was driving home from the shops that I realised I had forgotten to buy said small ice cream scoop and I didn't have the energy to go back again (I hadn't eaten one of these yet, haha!). But if perfection is your thing and you want them all to be a very similar size, then I highly recommend using that to master your technique. Perfection is never something I strove highly for so you will notice my balls are unique in their shapes and sizes much like true free range eggs!
Recipe published July 29th 2018, updated with some new insights July 16th 2019, same original recipe.
Healthy Recipe Suggestions
For today's recommendations, I am going to give you gives some smoothie recipes that you will want to have up your sleeve, they are yummy and delicious and you will get a kick out of some new combinations you may not have tried before.
My favourites on the blog are:
I have had a huge weekend these last 2 days........lots and lots of yoga and friends and catch ups and as always the time seems to disappear too quickly! Hope that you had a good break from the Monday - Friday and thanks as always for coming.